Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I have an extended display on two monitors with my desktop?  (Read 2535 times)

umweltbewusst

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    I just bought a new desktop, running on Ubuntu 12.04. There are one DVI port and one VGA port. When I plug in two monitors, the one on DVI does not respond while the one on VGA shows the following:

Attention: Unsupported Video Configuration Detected Action is Required
    This computer has an add-in graphics card, but the monitor cable is plugged into the integrated video connector

With one monitor plugged in, it is working perfectly. How can I resolve this? Help!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Can I have an extended display on two monitors with my desktop?
    « Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 04:49:50 AM »
    Are the two ports right next to each other, or is one vertical and one horizontal?  If the latter, the error message is correct - you have one monitor plugged into the graphics card, which is correct, and the other plugged into the onboard graphics, which won't work as they're disabled when a graphics card is installed.  To use two monitors you would need to plug them both into the graphics card (horizontal outputs) if it has two ports.

umweltbewusst

Topic Starter

Re: Can I have an extended display on two monitors with my desktop?
      « Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 08:02:37 PM »
      They are vertical. Both of my graphics card and onboard graphics card have one port only.
      Is getting a new graphics card with two ports the only solution?
      Thanks!