Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I'm not sure what is cousing this to happen  (Read 4907 times)

Lost_couse

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    I'm not sure what is cousing this to happen
    « on: August 27, 2013, 09:06:39 PM »
    First we have 3 pcs the one in question has 2 accounts mine and my brothers account. I have problems getting my brother off this pc at times and he doesn't have a problem with it. But when I go online I keep getting messages telling me that I need to get my player up dated.

Now all the pcs up dates automatically and I don't have the problem with the other pc that I use. The only difference that that I can see between the two is that this is a shared pc and the other isn't. I've tried playing with the firewalls and have raised them hirer then the other pc and still getting the messages.

Can someone please help me?

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: I'm not sure what is cousing this to happen
    « Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:12:16 AM »
    I keep getting messages telling me that I need to get my player up dated.
    The player seems like its talking about Adobe Flash Player. It wont update automatically if you have chosen "Don't download and install updates automatically (manually)" before installing the earlier version. Anyways, assuming it is the Adobe flash player that's popping up messages, you can download adobe flash player from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
    You can uncheck "Yes, install McAfee Security Scan Plus - optional (0.9 MB)" this option and download the player. Save the file to the desktop, run it; it will automatically download and install the latest update. Be sure to close all internet browsers while running this file.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 10:10:28 AM »
    On that note PCDoc he may want to run the Flash removal tool from the same site 1st...it removes all older remnants ...as they have been known to cause issues as well.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lost_couse

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 10:26:33 AM »
      Thanks for the advice, but last its not just the media player that messages says needs up dating. The reason they keep saying ALL the players need up dating. The one that got me was the one that said that OverDrive Media needed to be 2.5.1 or higher and when I checked it, it was 3.2.2.

The also has been happened with Sliverlight (at least I think its, called Silverlight) anyway it says that needed to be updated so I could watch Netflix, but again Sliverlight says I have the newest.

Lost_couse

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 10:31:53 AM »
        Oh I don't know if this is a factor it might be, my brother uses Google chrome as his primary way to get online, I use internet explore.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 01:05:13 PM »
        What are you using OverDrive Media for ? ?
        Do you need it on this PC ? ?...or did your Brother install it for some reason ?

Lost_couse

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 02:25:30 PM »
          I installed it couse it is required to check out audiobooks from my library. I have a older virgin on the other pc, that works just fine. Oh and I looked it up and it is Microsoft Silverlight that it says needs up dating.

While I've been waiting though I've been experimenting with chrome and Silverlight work just fine with chrome but not explorer for some reason. 

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
          « Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 12:47:43 AM »
          Silverlight is a flash player from Microsoft just like Adobe flash player required for some online flash files to run. Instead of using Microsoft Internet Explorer, I would suggest you to try out either Mozilla Firefox or if you are using chrome, well n good. I use firefox, and I can check the version of all the install addons from within the browser. You can also set to update some particular addons automatically when updates are available. If there are any updates to the firefox itself, same will be downloaded and installed automatically. Unlike internet explorer where you have to manually upgrade from like 7 to 8.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          « Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 02:34:07 AM »
          While I've been waiting though I've been experimenting with chrome and Silverlight work just fine with chrome but not explorer for some reason.

Have you tried updating Silverlight? You should be able to download the latest version Here. I believe the standard installation will install the Internet Explorer plugin.

Silverlight is a flash player from Microsoft just like Adobe flash player required for some online flash files to run.
          Silverlight is the component used for running Silverlight Applications. The biggest differences between Adobe Flash Player and Silverlight is that Silverlight doesn't suck horribly. It hasn't picked up traction over Flash Player though for numerous reasons. I assume one of the reasons is probably simply because it's something made by MS. I think there was rumour it was being "abandoned" also.

Instead of using Microsoft Internet Explorer, I would suggest you to try out either Mozilla Firefox or if you are using chrome, well n good.
          This forum is not for you to profess your subjective browser preferences in lieu of providing actual assistance.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
          « Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 08:22:25 AM »
          This forum is not for you to profess your subjective browser preferences in lieu of providing actual assistance.

Well sorry, more than bit used to chat environment and new to forums :)

mediamania

Starter

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 02:37:26 PM »
            Be careful there is a virus /adware out there that says you need to update your flash player and you give it access by clicking update now. when in doubt go to the website of that particular player and update from there. Run a good malware detection program like malwarebytes or spybot search and destroy or superantispyware (search google) and run full scans. Quite often these add/spyware programs are attached to torrent sites.

Looselywound

Greenhorn

• Yes
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 11:49:26 AM »
            With two users using the PC a registry cleaner and defrag program (find for free) to get all the broken files out could stop software searching for updates if the PC is up to date and has never been cleaned.

Allan

• Mastermind
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 11:57:36 AM »
            I'm not sure I fully understand the above post, but please ignore it. Nobody should ever use a "registry cleaner"

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 12:26:16 PM »
            Agreed...