Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows failed to start....  (Read 3049 times)

fjtoo

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Windows failed to start....
    « on: October 02, 2013, 08:33:24 PM »
    Acer Laptop Win7. My son's computer. Trying to reinstall OS. Ordered recovery discs because he didn't create one for himself before the VIRUS. Laptop has no CD drive. formatted USB, put the three discs onto a USB. Recovery process started until the message, Please insert disc 2. Pulled USB out, found a usb external cd player, plugged it in, message, "boot manager missing". Back to flash drive, "Windows failed to start, etc". Now, no matter what I do, same message, "Windows failed to start". How do I get past that screen to fix this thing?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows failed to start....
    « Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 10:56:49 PM »
    Please provide some more detail.  :)
    What is the make and model of the computer.
    Is your external CD also a DVD reader?
    Can you get into the BIOS? Set the BIOS to boot from external DVD drive.

On some laptops you need to remove the battery and use AC only until the system is working. Sorry, I do not know if that apples in this case. Also malware  may alter even some BIOS settings. In such case you have to re remove the CMOS cell to force a return ton default settings. Replace after 30 seconds. Again, I don't know if that  applies here.

Please tell more about the recovery discs. Why two discs? Who sold them to you? It ought to be the manufacture of the laptop.

fjtoo

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Windows failed to start....
      « Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 08:23:36 AM »
      Thank you for responding....the make and model of the computer is Acer Aspire 3830T. I have looked everywhere on the internet for the service manual (of course, Acer.com does not have it) but none for the 3830T. Yes, the external CD drive is a dvd reader/writer, and and yes, i did ask the BIOS to boot from the USB CD Rom. I can hear the cd start to load, but then is stopped when the message pops up, Windows failed to start, etc.
      It's bizarre, too, about the external battery pack. Most laptops, you just slide the latches or open a flap on the back, but this computer does not have that. Where I THINK it is, has three screws, but is also part of the entire case, too. I would have to take the entire top off the computer in order to disconnect what I believe to be the battery pack. That's another reason I spent literally hours looking for a service manual for it.
      I figured if push came to shove, I would have to take the battery off the motherboard to reset everything, but I can't find a service manual to guide me thru the steps to get to it. I don't want to break anything.......can you help?
      The recovery discs came from Acer themselves and there are three discs plus a systems disc....