Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't reach POST on a computer that had been working for months  (Read 3233 times)

mgaertner

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Can't reach POST on a computer that had been working for months
    « on: October 04, 2013, 03:18:58 PM »
    I have an AMD FX 6300 on an ASRock 970. We built the computer in the spring and have had it working since (There have been some problems in the meantime that mgiht be relevant, I'll get to them later). Last week, the computer stopped working entirely: I power it on, and after about 10 seconds I get a 5-beep error code. Nothing is POSTed on the monitor (the monitor doesn't even power on to indicate it's receiving signal). I can't find my mobo manual anywhere, but cursory googling tells me that 5 beeps is a processor problem. We've tried booting without hard drives or graphics cards, problem persists. There's no obvious damage to the CPU or board.

Additional background:

• Since the computer was built, I've had a very strange bug. I discovered it when I was trying to install a Linux (Mint KDE 14). As weird as it sounds, if I sit too long in anything except Windows, the monitors stop receiving signal. This includes sitting in BIOS.
    • For the past month or so occasionally after rebooting, Windows tells me that one of my partitions is corrupted and needs to be chkdsk'ed. I let disk repair run and usually that's the end of it for a week or so. However, this problem is made worse by the above, because chkdsk requires me to sit outside Windows for several minutes. However, it seems that even though the monitors stop receiving signal, the computer still runs, because chkdsk finishes even after the signal goes out.

I'm in the process of trying to find a friend with the same socket type as me so I can test my processor/motherboard. In the meantime, does anyone have any ideas for what I can do, or what the problem might be?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Can't reach POST on a computer that had been working for months
    « Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 03:54:18 PM »
    Same issue and same board... someone referred to a case issue where the chasis ground may have been cause, however it could be a number of things going through the process of swapping guts between cases. I'd check to make sure the CPU pins are fine in the socket etc. You can also use other references at the link to test against your problem. As well as power supply to motherboard connection is good and not partially seated.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/333518-31-beeps-post
    I had the same error code of 5 beeps. I swapped processors, and had the same error code in my case. The 8150 tested fine on an m5a97 in another case.
    Thankfully, I continued reading replies, and after despairing, swapped cases. I'd been working in a Raidmax Scorpio, which doesn't have the best reputation. After rebuilding in a quality Thermaltake Armor case, the system worked pefectly. Hooray!

mgaertner

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 05:31:25 PM »
      Resolved.

I "borrowed" my brother's graphics card, and it now boots.  I put my graphics card in his computer and it beeps once and then 8 beeps.

I don't know why it is 5 beeps in mine, which should be processor, but I am getting a new graphics card, so its not all bad.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      « Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 06:57:05 PM »
      Interesting that the video card died and caused these symptoms and different symptoms on brothers computer. Thanks for responding back with the cure to your troubles in case others see this problem in the future and are looking for something to try out to fix it.

Just curious as to which video card you had that failed and which video card you tried of your brothers?

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
      « Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 10:13:53 PM »
      hehe in the other thread same 1 long beep and 8 short beeps is the problem. I suspect graphics card computer commando suspect PSU