Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dropped computer, now it wont start up  (Read 3769 times)

jasdin

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    dropped computer, now it wont start up
    « on: January 15, 2014, 08:39:31 PM »
    i dropped my laptop and now when i turn my computer on i get the "Check cable connect no bootable device" message. i have no idea what to do i tried to take it apart because i was told maybe the hard drive shifted but im not sure where i should be looking? or if that could even help. and if i decide to give it to someone who wants old computers, how can i make sure they cant get my old personal files? i took the back off and snapped a pic if that helps http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/839/j7ix.jpg

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: dropped computer, now it wont start up
    « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 08:51:32 PM »
    How old is it? Make and model?

Did you purchase insurance with it?
    The cost of a laptop repair is so high that insurance is a worthwhile investment.

Here is a possibility. Contact the manufacture and negotiate a exchange price for a new computer similar to the one you have.

jasdin

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 09:12:07 PM »
      its about two years old, and an acer aspire 5749

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      « Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 09:24:50 PM »
      Yeah you hare an investment you want to keep.
      OK, I will say go ahead and try to remove only the retainer and slip out the shard drive. You do not actually open the hard drive itself, jut remove it form the laptop.

If you find the problem is the hard drive, you might get a replacement for under $50 if you shop around. But you will have to install the system again.

But I will guess it might work when you put nit back in. It might be a loose connection.
      Worth trying.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 08:25:08 AM »
      i took the back off and snapped a pic if that helps http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/839/j7ix.jpg
      Based on your pic, you did not "take the back off", you took a panel off the back.  Right?  Do you see other removable panels on back?  Typically, the hard drive in laptops in accessible by removing a certain panel that covers them.  Many laptops have more than one removable panel on back.  What make and model is your laptop?

Hard drives are vulnerable to sharp jarring, so it may, indeed, be inoperable and need to be replaced.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 12:52:38 PM »
      Hi

Good job getting the keyboard screen etc off the laptop. You need to do that on those Acer models.  :(

Here is a video of how to go further http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1cKzR5xJMg

I you dispose of the laptop just keep the hard drive as that is where all your data is.

Use a straightened out paper clip to release  the dvd drive to check for disks.

If the laptop was going when it was dropped then the hard drive will have problems that will need fixing before you can access the data.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 01:24:34 PM »
      After looking at your pic again, I guess you did remove a full back cover. 

Go should go to youtube and search for a video on replacing a hard drive in your model of laptop.  For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a7pwc7dl3w