Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with external hard drives  (Read 2144 times)

glo

Problem with external hard drives
« on: October 24, 2005, 01:44:06 PM »
Last September 2004,  I  bought a   " MASSCOOL FI310 Aluminum 3.5" USB + IEEE 1394 External Enclosure"   to work with my 250Gig Maxtor hard drive.   This worked fine until about July 2005.   Then the hard drive stopped working totally.  It wouldn't work with the 1394 plug or the usb plug.

I decided to buy a new hard drive and use the same External exclosure in August.  I bought a WD 160 gig drive this worked for about 2 months.  Now this hard drive doesn't work either.  

Now I'm not sure what's going on. Is it possible that the  external exclosure is killing my  hard drives?    I don't have another computer to put the hard drives in to determine if they are really dead.   I hope not,  this starting to cost me a lot of money. The hard drives I've had in the past have lasted for years.  

I'm not sure what to do now.  Should I buy a new external case?  I really need something external to easily use a  backup device for both my  desk top and my  laptop.   Note that this  external drive is "gently" used.  I do not carry it around.  I leave it in one location for backups.

signed stumped,
- Glo

merlin_2

Re: Problem with external hard drives
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 03:58:58 PM »
check the motherboard specs?......buy a flashdrive