Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 5.1 usb sound card help!  (Read 3300 times)

mitchd33

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    5.1 usb sound card help!
    « on: February 14, 2014, 02:55:31 PM »
    Hi all

I have recently purchased a soundcard - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190975345542?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

that is connected to my creative 5.1 surround sound, the only problem is after I have connected the new hardware it installs properly but only plays 2 channel. I have tried to mess around with the properties of the soundcard, but I can't seem to find a way to change the output.

This has been doing my head in as i have bought this soundcard to get the full output of my surround sound.

I have a samsung i3-2330M CPU 2.20 Ghz running Windows 7 hp.

Any input or solutions would be very helpful and i would be most grateful

Thanks again

Mitch :)

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: 5.1 usb sound card help!
    « Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 04:22:20 PM »
    Did you use the CD that came with it to use the MFR driver or are you using the default driver that Windows 7 decided to use for this device?

mitchd33

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 01:24:59 AM »
      I let windows 7 do all the driver installs. when i use the cd provided i can't seem to get anywhere with it, i get a bit lost.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 12:37:50 PM »
      I had a small USB sound card device that also was defaulting to setting of 2.0 vs 5.1 with windows 7 when using default windows drivers for this device. I was able to fix it by locating the driver on the mini CD that came with my device and go into Device Manager and then locate this USB audio device and then telling it to use this oem driver instead of the default and that fixed my problem. ( Just have to be sure to use the Win 7 32 or 64 bit driver that matches your OS. ) Some discs are structured easily with folders like a root folder of drivers, and then within that you find sub-folders of 98, 2000, xp, vista, 7, 8 However some make you dig for them. And in some cases you have to use an older driver and cross your fingers that it works. However; if you cant find a Windows 7 32 or 64 driver for this device, I'd check the mfr's website for this device to see if they have a newer updated driver. If this device is like the USB audio device I have that was made in china, the drivers are nearly impossible to find online and the CD is the only option.

The problems you have now are probably because the device was connected before the CD was run with the drivers/software and so Windows has associated this device with a default driver satisfying this device. Trying to run certain drivers after the fact will malfunction by not applying if they are designed to not look specifically for this device but instead for a device that is unknown to windows ( essentially driverless ) to target and then apply the driver to.

mitchd33

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 04:48:47 PM »
        I used the cd and searched and tried out a few more things on it and managed to track the driver needed. Have now changed the driver settings and i finally have 5.1 surround with it.

Thanks for the help, life saver!!!

:)

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 05:06:57 PM »
        Awesome  :)