Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer becomes unresponsive  (Read 3350 times)

digidummy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Computer becomes unresponsive
    « on: March 11, 2014, 03:23:03 AM »
    Hi,  About once every two weeks my computer becomes unresponsive. No pointer response, no keyboard, and obviously the task manager wont come up. Nothing... The only thing that works is the soft restart button. Sometimes it shuts the computer off and sometimes it restarts the computer. (iv never tried the hard on/off button - im sure it would work just fine)

Im not sure where to even begin trouble shooting (here  ;D ) The computer in question is not often connected to the net and its a Homebuilt (by me)  I7 quad core running Chrome, 16GB of RAMM, Window 7, 64bit OS, A 32 bit audio program that i use 99% of the time and a 64 bit audio program that im just learning to use. It also has Microsoft Security Essentials on it.

The unresponsive behavior happens when im using my 32bit audio program, which is no surprise since thats all i really use that computer for.

This computer ( a second computer-it a dell, inspiron 520 i think) is nearly identical to the one im having trouble with in terms of programs on it and its function, except it doesnt have the 64 bit audio program installed on it.  its a core 2 duo E4600 @2.4 Ghz. 4GB of RAMM....and this computer doesnt have quite all of the plugins the other one does because it doesnt have the power to run them well.....I care for this computer very little and i dont treat it well, Its ALWAYS connected to the net, and yet it runs perfectly...The OS and 32 bit audio program are identical on both computers.

So, im just not sure of how to troubleshoot this. Where do i start looking?  Is it likely a hardware issue? Wondering why it all works fine for the computer with lesser power.

Anyway, thanks for any consideration you may have given to my dilemma.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer becomes unresponsive
    « Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 02:48:19 PM »
    I'd run this 32-bit program in XP compatability mode on the Windows 7 64-bit system that is acting up with it, and see if that fixes the issue.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7