Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Should I defrag Page Files?  (Read 3533 times)

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Should I defrag Page Files?
    « on: April 29, 2014, 02:47:13 AM »
    I am just learning how the Win 7 Page File system works and discovered these protected files need special software to defrag. One such program, Page Defrag, is recommended by ComputerHope. Is there any reason for me to download and analyze my HD? The Page Defrag documentation says it is best used with another app called Contig defragmenter. I would like to use these apps but am concerned I will screw-up my otherwise great working system.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Should I defrag Page Files?
    « Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 05:45:28 AM »
    I've been using PerfectDisk for many years as my 3rd party defragmentation utility. Every once in a while I will do an offline defrag of the pagefile (which I always keep on a separate drive and/or partition, by the way).

Keep in mind you can delete and recreate the pagefile anytime you like. So what possible harm could you do by defragmenting it?

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 06:15:18 AM »
      Thanks Allan.
      So what possible harm could you do by defragmenting it?

You are asking me? I do not even know enough to be dangerous. BTW, how do you get the pagefile to a separate partition and why would you want to do that?

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 06:29:29 AM »
      Thanks Allan.
      You are asking me? I do not even know enough to be dangerous. BTW, how do you get the pagefile to a separate partition and why would you want to do that?
      :) Cute.

If you have multiple physical hard drives, there is a slight benefit to having the pf on a drive separate from the system drive. Other than that, I just keep it on a separate partition on my laptops (one hard drive) for good housekeeping purposes - I'm a bit *censored* that way. I have a bunch of partitions on all of my systems and have always set them up that way.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 01:18:05 PM »
        PerfectDisk says my HD is operating in peak condition. Page files are 1% fragmented. No action is recommended. You are right Allan...this looks like a pretty slick app.