Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: password recovery  (Read 2453 times)

Marjorie

Topic Starter

Beginner

password recovery
    « on: June 11, 2014, 02:46:27 PM »
    I cannot access my windows 7 laptop. When I turned it on, the password screen came up and it will not accept my password.  I did some research and created a windows password recovery disk. When I try to boot from the disk, nothing happens just that password screen comes up. I can't get past that.  How do I get the computer to boot from the disk??

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: password recovery
    « Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 08:01:33 PM »
    You will need to get into the BIOS and change the boot order or use the Boot Option F key at start up before the Windows Logo screen in which you can specify to boot from alternate drive in which you would select optical drive etc. If you are unsure as to what key is required to get to alternate boot or BIOS settings, provide the make/model of the computer and we can assist.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: password recovery
    « Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 09:22:08 PM »
    Hi  Marjorie

What laptop is this please ?
    And at what point are you asked for the password?
    Is it before windows starts to load ?
    If so it is likely it is a hard drive password and cannot be reset with a boot disk without loosing all your data.
    Some laptops if you can get into the bios have the option to disable the HDD password which you can do without loosing data.

Lisa_maree 
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan