Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: com port  (Read 5502 times)

nnmmss

com port
« on: November 01, 2005, 12:16:28 AM »
I have 2 pc which should communicate with each other through the com port by an application,but it seems they don't, so when i used from the an application to test the com port, i mostly got this function
"Retrieve COm Status" , so does this mean? how can i be sure the com port of 2 pcs can talk with each other, where is wrong when 2 application can not talk with each other.( i am sure the application doesn't have any problem)

any idea?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: com port
    « Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 12:19:41 AM »
     nnmmss..... Exactly what is it your trying to acheive.....Network the two pcs ?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

nnmmss

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 12:21:22 AM »
    2 pcs, and there is an application on them which should sync with each other

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 12:27:44 AM »
      nnmmss....How do you have them networked and which application is it your attempting to use ?
      Which operating systems are on these machines ?

nnmmss

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 12:31:34 AM »
      Application : is an application which is for automation in Substation

The application is ok, because it works fine ( and it is a very huge app , it is written from siemens)

this application which is installed on 2 pcs, should talk with each other through the com port, for example i request the clock of the PC1 from PC2 , this should be passed through com port

i have connected them from their com 2 by the cable

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 12:53:25 AM »
         nnmmss...Pardon me if I seem to be asking a number of questions , but I still havent got a good handle on why your doing it that way...... These pcs are currently connected thru a router .......and are set up to file share etc.  Is one pc setup as the host ?

nnmmss

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 01:13:46 AM »
        no there is no router and nothing else
        just 2 pcs are connected to each other through their com port the com 2 of pc1 is connected to com port 2 of pc 2. like hyperterminal

they should do this . because this is for automation  and the should be backup of each other. if the main goes out to any reason, the second comes to line automatically, without wasting a second