Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop will not bootup  (Read 3345 times)

TobyHauss

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Laptop will not bootup
    « on: June 19, 2014, 10:04:05 PM »
    i have an hp pavilion g7 that will not boot up

when it starts up it shows the logo with the "starting windows" text for about 2 seconds then it will restart or go black for a quick moment then will go to a screen with the option to try and recover and fix it or to start up windows

no matter which option i pick it will keep doing the same thing and go into windows error recovery but will not fix it

is it possibly the HD going bad?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Laptop will not bootup
    « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 10:10:28 PM »
    is it possibly the HD going bad?
    Yes, but there may be other things to try before you get a new HDD.
    You PC is a hp pavilion g7.
    Do you have the original DVD  to install Windows 7 for that computer?
    Does the  user manual offer some troubleshooting tips?
    Is the laptop still under warranty?

TobyHauss

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 10:15:47 PM »
      no not under warranty and i do not have the original dvd

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 11:44:24 PM »
      OK. The HP has some info about how to recover the system.
      This is from the HP site:
      1: No, the system has a recovery partition and recovery disks are not necessary. However, I would recommend to create them in case of a complete failure of the hard drive as a backup for a new hard drive and getting the system back to its factory settings.
      2: No, the system on the laptop is OEM and a Windows CD is not needed. However, it might be useful when the MBR is damaged and other system repairs have to be done.
      Some info how to restore the laptop to the factory settings:
      http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c02638587
      So many HP laptops are sold without the install DVD. You can only restore by using what is found on the hard drive. Worst case is you may have to buy both a DVD  Windows 7 fro HP and a replacement Hard Drive.

Here is the HP support for USA:
      http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support.html

The price of the HP DVD may be about $25 plus shipping. But before you do that, look on the HP site for more info for about your model and how to order a replacement OEM DVD with Windows 7.

I do not know if you have to use a HP Hard drive.  But it is likely that the old driver can be used again.
      I do not have any more ideas.
      EDIT: Found this:
      http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Recovery/Windows-Vista-7-and-8-ISO-Image-file-Download-Links/td-p/2954293
      This says you can get the ISO and put in on a DVD using another computer. But you have to have the Key and install it only on you r HP.
      « Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 11:59:21 PM by Geek-9pm »

H4CK8R

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 02:08:48 AM »
        Check
        windows>system32>NTLDR_file
        it might be deleted or missing that's why system is not booting.
        Use any live OS i.e.,BackTrack5 to make that file mannually...or you may try operating system in recovery mode ;)

TobyHauss

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 09:35:02 AM »
          ive tried a backup windows 7 repair disk i made forever ago but still says that the problem cant be found or repaired..right now im going through the explore option and backing up all my pics and other files the best i can to my flash drive then im going to just try and put windows back on it

TobyHauss

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 03:46:15 PM »
            when i tried installing windows i get a popup saying that it cannot be installed to this disk.the selected disk has an MBR partition table. on EFI systems, windows can only be installed to gpt dicks...how do i fix that?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 06:32:03 PM »
            Wait. Now I  am lost. Exactly which model HP do you have?
            I thought that GPT was needed only for recent Windows 8 systems. I have never hear of a Windows 7 refusing to install on a MBR.
            Anybody understand this?
            A Google shows others have said that.  I have three systems with Windows  7 an d no issue with the MBR. What is going on ?
            EDIT: To answer my own question; found this on the MS site:
            Updated: December 9, 2013
            Applies To: Windows 8.1
            When installing Windows on UEFI-based PCs using Windows Setup, your hard drive partition style must be set up to support either UEFI mode or legacy BIOS-compatibility mode.
            For example, if you receive the error message: “Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is not of the GPT partition style”, it’s because your PC is booted in UEFI mode, but your hard drive is not configured for UEFI mode. You’ve got a few options:
                Reboot the PC in legacy BIOS-compatibility mode. This option lets you keep the existing partition style. For more info, see Boot to UEFI Mode or Legacy BIOS mode.
                Reformat the drive for UEFI by using the GPT partition style. This option lets you use the PC’s UEFI firmware features.
                You can do this yourself by reformatting the drive using the instructions below, or if you need to preserve the data, use a third-party utility to convert the drive to GPT format.
            http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn336946.aspx
            The OP needs to check is BIOS and see if it is in legacy mode.
            Another reference says that Windows 7 64 bit with offer an option to use GPT.
            http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/how-to-clean-install-windows-7-professional-64-bit/c052117c-8faa-4b5b-bd31-30bb9b21a0eb
            "To install Windows 7 on GPT is simple; while installing from windows 7 DVD, and you get to the segment that you can create or delete partitions press "shift+F10" this will open a command prompt and you can use diskpart to convert to GPT"

« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 06:49:49 PM by Geek-9pm »