Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Dimention 2100  (Read 3455 times)

Hempfieldtesla

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Dell Dimention 2100
    « on: May 05, 2014, 01:48:02 PM »
    I purchased an intel celeron 1ghz, 256kb cache, 100mghz FBS processor as an upgrade to my old dell dimension 2100. This computer has a socket 370 motherboard, with an intel celeron 900mghz, 128kb cache, 100 mghz FBS processor stock. The computer was working fine, I just wanted to upgrade the processor. I removed the old celeron and replaced it with the new celeron 1ghz. The computer didn't boot, and there was nothing on the screen. The cpu fan did spin up, but the power indicating led on the case did not turn on. I then removed the new processor, and re-installed the original processor, and the computer booted no problem.

Here is a link for the new processor: http://www.cwc-group.com/ince1g10fsb2.html

Here is a link for the computer itself: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dimension-2100/manuals?c=us

I looked into the motherboard (here is a link:  http://www.ascendtech.us/dell-dimension-2100-motherboard-2e087_i_mb3del2e087.aspx) and it supports up to a 1 ghz processor so it should support this processor. I also  checked to make sure the FBS was 100mghz, which it is. I tried using only 256 mb of ram instead of the whole 512mb to see if the processor would booth then. Still the computer wouldn't turn on.

This computer is running an 80g hdd, 512mb of ram (between 2 256mb sticks), and is running windows XP. I'm running it off of integrated graphics. This is not my main computer. I just had it laying around and wanted to see if I could get it up and running.  :) I was wondering if there is a conflict with this processor working with this system, or even if the processor was DOA. Any response would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Jesse Madden

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Dell Dimention 2100
    « Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 04:58:39 PM »
    Is your BIOS flashed to the latest flash? Sometimes you need to be a version for example A06 to have a wide range of CPU support and you might be like A02 which is what it shipped with with the 900Mhz CPU originally.

If you find that this is the issue, then you flash the system with the 900Mhz in it to say A06 from say A02 and then after the flash is completed, then you can swap CPU's and it should work.

Only other reason for not working would be if the issue was a bad CPU etc. Do you know if this CPU is good or not?

Also, I have seen some motherboards extremely picky such as one that came out of an old socket 478 eMachine motherboard that claimed to support up to a 2.4Ghz Pentium 4, and yet the fastest it will run is 2.0Ghz. It came with a Celeron 2.0Ghz originally, and I was able to upgrade it to Pentium 4 2.0Ghz and get better performance. There was no newer BIOS flash for my Trigem Imperial motherboard for additional better CPU support. You may want to go with a Pentium III 900Mhz which would run better than a Celeron 900Mhz if the 1Ghz doesnt want to work for you.

Hempfieldtesla

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 10:19:23 AM »
      Hi, I contacted the person I bought the processor from and this is what they responded,

"That processor we shipped works, it was tested when it was posted and again the day it shipped.. This is a socket 370 Tualatin processor (The actual CPU chip is larger than the chip on your 900Mhz processor. I checked Dell's website and the dimension 2100 does not support Tualatin processors."

I suppose that is why the processor didn't work in that computer. I'll also check what bios version it is running.

Thanks,
      Jesse Madden

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 01:47:33 PM »
      The problem the OP describes has happened before, many times over.
      Before any attempt to upgrade a processor, one has  to check everything. Sad to say, but Intel confuses us with processor names and families that ought to be compatible but they are not.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 05:01:50 AM »
      Everything you need to know about CPU's is here:  http://www.cpu-world.com/