Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why SSD is a dead end.  (Read 4199 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Why SSD is a dead end.
« on: August 08, 2014, 02:59:45 PM »
This is not news. But it was new to me. Maybe to you.
IBM has released details about a memory system the will kill SSD forever.

IBM demonstrates next-gen phase-change memory that’s up to 275 times faster than your SSD  Joel Hruska  May 08 2014

http://mobile.extremetech.com/latest/221364-ibm-demonstrates-next-gen-phase-change-memory-thats-up-to-275-times-faster-than-your-ssd

Read before you buy.  :D

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Why SSD is a dead end.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 03:42:19 PM »
Why are you so scared of SSDs? I've lost count of the number of times that you try and get someone to avoid SSDs for whatever reason.

Yes, this technology may, possibly, some day replace SSDs but it's hardly going to be so soon that I should think "Gee, I was going to buy an SSD, but I think I'll wait for 5 years for IBM to release their new stuff".

Also, that technology is not "replacing SSDs" - It is being presented as a possible replacement for NAND memory so that newer SSDs will use it instead.

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 05:45:51 PM »
I worked for IBM for 20 years.  They have one of the largest R&D divisions of any company and are constantly researching new storage techniques.  I remember being told back in the 80's that bubble memory was going to be the technology that would replace the hard drive.  Now, 30 years later, where's bubble memory?  Just because a team demonstrates a great technology in the lab, that doesn't mean that it will ever become commercialized.  My understanding is that although bubble memory was a great technology, they simply couldn't find a way to manufacture it cheaply enough for it to be cost effective.

Phase-change memory may never make it to market either.  Meanwhile, ssds are here now and the price keeps dropping so there isn't any reason not to own an ssd. 

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 08:52:28 PM »
The position of News Director for CH is still accepting applications....

Thanx.
patio.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "