Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: It used to be possible to set higher speeds for ports to hdd or processor or LAN  (Read 6744 times)

geercom

Topic Starter

Rookie

I don't have the exact process on hand but it used to be possible to increase the speed of communications to and from a device such as a hdd, LAN connection, or the processor by going into some type of IO (?) port setting and setting the highest available speed. Anyone recall how to do that and whether you can do it with Windows 8? I am trying to figure this out.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Things like this are best left alone - All parts will work at their optimal speed automatically.  These "tweaks" are likely to cause more harm than good and the improvements they supposedly give are likely just placebos.

geercom

Topic Starter

Rookie

I appreciate that. However, I am a 14-year veteran computer technician and technology writer. I would like to have what I asked for rather than advice. I need to know how this is done, not whether I should do it.

Salmon Trout

I am a 14-year veteran computer technician and technology writer. I would like to have what I asked for rather than advice. I need to know how this is done, not whether I should do it.

Not the best way to get help... I predict a short life for this thread. If you are so brainy and know so much, how come you don't already know the answer? (If there is one?)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      If the OP is using Ethernet.  he can have either 100 mega bit or one Gigabit.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabit_Ethernet

One method is to have two networks in a company.
      The Gigabit is used just for the users who need the speed.
      The rest have to use the plain Ethernet.
      Joining the two networks would be a bad idea.
      The power users have two NICs   n each the workstation.
      No bridge. Lessor users can not get into the Gigabit.
      Here is a possible scenario:
      http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-howto/24428-howtotwoprivlan

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
      I appreciate that. However, I am a 14-year veteran computer technician and technology writer. I would like to have what I asked for rather than advice. I need to know how this is done, not whether I should do it.
      Wow, certainly not the way to get help on here. *bows to your holiness* I doubt you'll get help now.  For all we know you could be some inexperienced user who has heard something from someone and is trying to fiddle with settings on their PC that they do not understand.  You surely could have worded your response a tad more politely rather than effectively saying "I don't care, just tell me what I want" to which my response would have been "I am not aware of these settings".

Also notice how I did answer your original question:
      All parts will work at their optimal speed automatically.

And what I said still stands, Parts will automatically select the optimal speed other than in some very rate cases such as auto-negotiation issues with some ethernet devices.  I have a gigabit network, my network interface is automatically set to 1gbps, I have a SATA III 6gbps SSD, my SATA ports run at 6gbps automatically.  There is not going to be a way to change these speeds other than to a lower value than they are currently at.

The Gigabit is used just for the users who need the speed.
      The rest have to use the plain Ethernet.
      The power users have two NICs   n each the workstation.
      No bridge. Lessor users can not get into the Gigabit.
      Err... Gigabit does not require two NICs, almost all modern computers are capable of Gigabit, even 10gbps is now within reach of the average consumer (although expensive).  All my machines run at Gigabit over basic CAT5e cable connected into their onboard NICs.
      « Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 03:25:18 PM by camerongray »

Salmon Trout

You surely could have worded your response a tad more politely rather than effectively saying "I don't care, just tell me what I want" to which my response would have been "I am not aware of these settings".

You get this type of thread on here every once in a while... pass the popcorn.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Let's go easy guys on someone asking for Help...
      Even if they didn't start cordially...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

the speed of communications to and from a device such as a hdd, LAN connection, or the processor

This is so confused. These are all different things. "Communication to and from the processor"? I smell a help vampire.

http://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/19665/the-help-vampire-problem

Does he refuse to take time to ask coherent, specific questions?

Does he get offensive

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      camerongray,  The OP said  something about having different speeds.  I never said Gigabit needs two NICs. I recommend two NICs to have two networks. One low, one high. The power users can use both networks.

Yes, the NICs will auto adjust the speed. But that undermines the idea of having a high-speed network.The OP did not give the reason why he wanted different speeds.

If he thinks having mixed  speeds on one network is good, he may like to know are are people that think like him. But we have never heard from the other two.

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
      camerongray,  The OP said  something about having different speeds.  I never said Gigabit needs two NICs. I recommend two NICs to have two networks. One low, one high. The power users can use both networks.

Yes, the NICs will auto adjust the speed. But that undermines the idea of having a high-speed network.The OP did not give the reason why he wanted different speeds.

If he thinks having mixed  speeds on one network is good, he may like to know are are people that think like him. But we have never heard from the other two.

I don't quite know what you are trying to say since you do not need a "fast" and "slow" network - I have a selection of both 100mbps and gigabit devices on my network (Even 10mbps devices at times) - You do not need a second NIC, they all play along nicely together.

But I'll just leave you to believe what you want, impossible trying to explain things to you...