Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win7 drivers for HP753n  (Read 5322 times)

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Win7 drivers for HP753n
    « on: August 14, 2014, 09:36:43 AM »
    Uh-oh....

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/having-a-hard-time-locating-hp-drivers-for-windows/abd7f542-0fa8-45ef-9067-dbbf90bc4935

HP says they only provide XP drivers for this rig. Apparently their policy is to provide drivers for only the original OS.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Win7 drivers for HP753n
    « Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 11:12:52 PM »
    Windows 7 32-bit should work fine on this computer as long as you have plenty of RAM such as 3GB is best, 1GB bare minimum. GPU drivers are the biggest problem for a system of this age and it can be resolved by installing a low end modern video card that is better than the integrated and has support for Windows 7.

Specs I see for this system are: Pentium 4 2.53Ghz, came originally with 512MB RAM and 80GB HDD

This system wont run 7 fast, but it can run it if you have plenty of RAM ( memory ).

What driver are you trying to hunt down by the way?

I got Windows 7 32-bit to run on a 2002 model year eMachine that was running a 2.0 Ghz Pentium 4 and 1GB of DDR 266Mhz RAM. Biggest issue was that emachines only made XP and older drivers for this system, and Intel only made up to Windows XP drivers for the Intel 845GL chipset ( integrated video ). I was able to force Windows 7 32-bit to run Windows XP 32-bit drivers and get the 1024 x768 back vs the Windows 7 graphics of just 800x600 and 256 color setting.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 12:56:38 AM »
      Thanks Dave. This rig was upgraded to 1GB RAM and is not capable of more. It has been running ok with 1 GB because they do not demand much performance. Don't know what drivers will be missing...hopefully none but just trying to be prepared. That is why I have been so interestd in learning how to backup drivers. I am not sure all of them are still available.

How did you "force" your machine to use XP drivers on Win 7?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 06:13:14 AM »
      Basically you just talk to it nicely...and promise not to spill beverages on the keyboard...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 06:50:09 AM »
        Basically you just talk to it nicely...and promise not to spill beverages on the keyboard...

Hey, I am an old grumpy *censored*. I will try, but can not promise.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 09:11:26 AM »
        How did you "force" your machine to use XP drivers on Win 7?

Upon running the Intel 845 chipset driver which was a EXE, Windows 7 complained that the driver was the incorrect driver for this OS or something along those lines. I ended up right-clicking on the EXE and telling it to run-as administrator and I forced Windows 7 to run that EXE. That EXE created a folder at the C: drive something like C:\Intel\XP\845GL as a path. I then went to device manager and right-clicked on the GPU which had a yellow ! mark and told it to update driver, then I pointed the path to the driver to the C:\Intel\XP\845GL and it displayed that it found the driver present, but that it was not a Windows 7 certified driver and I told it to apply this chipset driver which was meant for Windows XP to Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium. It took the driver and then I performed a reboot. Upon the reboot the system had no issues and now I was able to set the Intel 845GL GPU to 1024x768 with better than just 256 colors. I was then able to also run Youtube videos ok on it, although they had to run at 360p because the Intel 845GL GPU only had 64MB of shared memory ( where it allocates 64MB of the system RAM as GPU memory leaving 960MB of 1024MB free for the OS to function ) and this GPU is very weak to todays standards.

The 2.53Ghz should run a little better than the 2.00Ghz Pentium 4 that I tested Windows 7 32-bit on as for in addition to the CPU being 530Mhz faster, the Pentium 4 CPU's evolved some between the 2Ghz and 2.53Ghz to handle more of a work load of processing with faster FSB, and 2x larger cache config, and 13 million more transistors in the single core design between my system and your Pentium 4 2.53Ghz.

Mine http://ark.intel.com/products/27432/Intel-Pentium-4-Processor-2_00-GHz-256K-Cache-400-MHz-FSB

vs

Yours http://ark.intel.com/products/27441/Intel-Pentium-4-Processor-2_53-GHz-512K-Cache-533-MHz-FSB

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 09:18:46 AM »
        Pretty slick little maneuver there Dave... ;)
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 09:26:40 AM »
        Thanks  ;D

If that forcing of the EXE execution didnt work with the Windows 7 32-bit run-as administrator, I was going to run it from within a Virtual Windows XP environment and then copy the decompressed contents for that driver in the now file/folder form vs EXE form to the Windows 7 system, and then point Windows 7 to the driver that is now not tucked hidden behind an EXE that sometimes will not allow you to execute with the incorrect OS version as other drivers of incorrect OS or system build will error out if not run within their normal intended environment of execution.

I have had to go this method a few times before... and then when it comes to Linux, wrapping drivers is always run too  ::)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 05:04:24 AM »
        I used to use that maneuver all the time with Win2000 & WinXP trying to get Win98 drivers installed.  My computers are all WinVista or Win7 but I do have a Pentium4 WinXP box I rescued from the curbside trash.  It only gets turned on 2x/mo. for updating.  Even with 3GB RAM, it's just too slow.  The latest service pack (3) & security updates really slowed things down.

Computers are so inexpensive now, it's not cost effective to upgrade old ones.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        « Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 11:56:18 PM »
        You could also try installing Linux OS - Ubuntu or Mint instead.