Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Blank Screen  (Read 2699 times)

lmcbee

Blank Screen
« on: November 02, 2005, 09:51:56 AM »
I purchased a compaq built for you about 3 yrs ago (No longer under warranty).  After a year the system stopped booting properly.  About every 3months or less, the on indicator light on the monitor & the CPU will light up, but the monitor screen stays black.  When connected to another CPU and Monitor - they both boot properly.   The harddrive has been wiped 2Xs, but it always returns to the same pattern.  

Thumbs down for Compaq/HP CS & Warranty-They were 0 help. :'(

GX1_Man

Re: Blank Screen
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 10:22:33 AM »
Usually the consumer model last the warranty period + a few days. The business class products are better.

So your question is what to do? They both work apart from each other, then leave them that way. Compaq's are also notoriously very proprietary so upgrades/repairs can be difficult.

The system has been like this for 2 years then. Any other details?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 02:50:03 PM by GX1_Man »

lmcbee

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 11:38:29 AM »
Yes - Sometimes we can disconnect the system entirely and when reconnected, it will began to work properly.  Sometimes the system reacts this way after being on and going into sleep mode - at other times, when we are attempting to turn it on after being shut down.  We don't know when the system will fall into this pattern, how long it will last, and I cannot recreate it (upon repair).  I always know that it is going to happen again no matter what.

Problem is- I don't actually own another CPU or Monitor and I don't really know how my system will react with other units after a period of time.  

Is there no way of identifying which unit is responsible?  I don't mind purchasing just a new monitor, but if I need to purhcase a new CPU - I am going for a entirely new system.--I can tell you that I will not be purchasing anymore 3 year warranties! >:(

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 03:01:07 PM »
Well it sounds more like the computer, perhaps some power standby savings gone amok, or some other mainboard problem. Can tou get to setup/BIOS (used to be F10 when booting) to see what the settings are - especially for ACPI? While it is working, (when it is working) maybe download and run the spyware/adware/virus scanners mentioned for free all over this board to make sure it is not some kind of software malware.

Lastly, do you have a system restore CD which you could use to reformat and reload the entire operating system to make sure it's not that once the settings have been reset? You said you had done so twice, but if the hardware has the improper settings, if that could be fixed first.

This part of your post still is peculiar:

"When connected to another CPU and Monitor - they both boot properly."

I still vote for computer rather than monitor, though.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 03:01:23 PM by GX1_Man »

lmcbee

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 03:08:35 PM »
Thanks GX_1 Man

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 03:37:10 PM »
Do you do a lot of intense gaming on that PC? If not, what are your usual activity/programs?

If you have to replace or decide you want to replace there are some sweet deals out now for basic functional PC's with monitor for $300-$350 after rebate. Can't get much cheaper than that! If you just do e-mail and Office apps and have cable or DSL, a basic used PIII would do just as well for $75 or less. I sell a lot of those to people in your situation.

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 05:44:47 PM »
Test hard  drive......