Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: sound problem  (Read 2613 times)

Liz81

sound problem
« on: November 02, 2005, 09:54:27 PM »
Hello,
I don't remember when this happened but I was about to hear everything then suddenly, nothing would come out from certain places.  The Internet and Musicmatch Jukebox (as far as I know) do not allow me to hear any music or sounds.  When I tried to start Musicmatch Jukebox I get an error message that says "MMJB Soundcard Problem" then just below it says, "WaveOut Format Not Supported."  That's never happened before and I don't know what I did or what happened to the computer when Jukebox just stopped working.  I can't get any sound from the Internet.

However, I'm able to get sound and music out of Realplayer and Windows Media Player so that's kinda strange to me that I can get sound to come out in some places and other places, I can't.

I have IE (not sure what version because "properties" doesn't tell me), Windows XP Home Edition and I use a DELL.  I also have a "SoundMax" installed and I'm not sure what that is or if that has anything to do with the problem I'm having.  I already did a virus scan and there was no virus so that didn't help.

Will anyone be able to offer any help?

Thanks in advance!

GX1_Man

Re: sound problem
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 10:07:47 PM »
Has this worked all along with Real Player, Musicmatch and Media Player, or was one of them recently added. Some like to keep the file associations for themself rather than share with other programs. Do you have need for all 3 programs?

Personally I would remove the RealPlayer virus for starts, I know Musicmatch comes standard with Dell's so i don't think that's an issue.

Do you use Ad Aware or Spybot for malware detection? They are free, so just google for them. They are a great addition to any Windows computer that is on the Internet.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 10:08:42 PM by GX1_Man »

Liz81

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 10:34:02 PM »
well I don't use an anti-spyware software or anything like that because I don't trust them.  They would usually cause some problems, like actually putting in the anti-spyware software which did occur when I had Cox.  Plus, the anti-spyware software I was using didn't pick up all the spywares that were actually on my computer when I did a spyware scan.  

And I didn't install anything or add anything when it happened.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 10:34:37 PM by Liz81 »

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 10:36:15 PM »
What about the timing of all 3 media players. Have they all been on there from the start?

Liz81

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 10:42:02 PM »
I installed Realplayer to view a video that was supported only by Realplayer (.ram or .rm files) and I did that later.  The others, windows media player and musicmatch jukebox was already installed when I got this computer.  The problem with the sound didn't start til months, I would say, after I installed Realplayer.

I just tried uninstalling realplayer and that didn't solve the problem.  Also, I forgot to mention taht I used to have this volume icon or something on my icon tray and now it's not there anymore and I don't know how to get it back.  In fact, I do remember it disappearing right at the same time I had this sound problem and when I couldn't get the icon back.  

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 10:46:11 PM »
 Also, I forgot to mention taht I used to have this volume icon or something on my icon tray and now it's not there anymore and I don't know how to get it back.  In fact, I do remember it disappearing right at the same time I had this sound problem and when I couldn't get the icon back.  

Look in Control Panel/Sounds and Multimedia and there is a check box at the bottom if you want the icon on the task bar at all times. Sometimes it just disappears from an audio program install, or inadvertently, or other magic happening.

Liz81

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 12:23:04 AM »
ok I've checked the box but for some reason, the icon is still not there.