Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop Cannot Charge Battery  (Read 3921 times)

CalebHansberry

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Eh doesn't afraid of anything
    • Sweet Home Carved Signs
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Laptop Cannot Charge Battery
« on: October 27, 2014, 02:49:54 PM »
Hello, I'm an amateur computer repairman. One problem I've seen a few times (twice in friends/clients computers and also my own) is where somehow, a wire inside in the power adapter cord breaks - breaking one of the connections and rendering the charger cord useless - and then after that, no new charger will charge the laptop anymore. The laptop gives message "Plugged in, not charging". If I could solve this issue, that'd be a great step towards being actually able to be a computer repairman. Any knowledge of how this problem can be fixed - barring replacing the motherboard, that's generally not worth it in used laptop? Could it be the little tiny fuse on the motherboard?
Thanks.

oliverpowell

Re: Laptop Cannot Charge Battery
    « Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 08:55:19 PM »
    The problem is with the charger itself, not with the motherboard. You can try using different power adapter and see if it works.
    In similar situations, replacing Laptop battery with new one could resolve the issue.

Post back your progress!!

CalebHansberry

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 01:46:56 PM »
    In two cases, I've already tried both a new charger and a new battery - neither changed the outcome, unfortunately.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 02:27:46 PM »
    CalebHansberrym,
    Now you need a diagram of the motherboard. You u will find some kind of regulator or converter that provider the voltages need by the motherboard. The battery pack often is a 10 volt stack of Ni-Cad cells sires wired and add up to ten volts.
    There will be a chip that change  the ten volts into levels needed by the CPU,RAM and other devices. Typically + 5 volts and + 3.3 volts.
    Apparently at least part of the power c conversion works; because you can run the laptop without the battery. It just might be a loose wire, or maybe some kind of fuse or a skip that protects the battery from a short circuit. You need to see the diagram to find out the details.

CalebHansberry

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 02:16:41 PM »
    Well, I have no clue where I'd find a schematic of that. A Google search didn't bring one up, and I'm skeptical one could be found, but if it can, here's my model name: dv7-1245dx

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 05:31:37 PM »
    Back in 2012 there was a recall on that HP notebook.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/56126-2-pavilion-1245dx-motherboard-recall
    The above link is on Tom's Harare, another forum
    Have you looked on the HP web site?
    http://hp.com/
    Go there and enter you model number for the notebook.
    You should find most of what you need there.

CalebHansberry

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 12:09:35 PM »
    Hmmmmmmmm. It's a tricky problem! So far I haven't found a schematic yet, but that topic did pinpoint the TI IC (by name not location) that controls charging, and some posters said that it could be damaged easily by a faulty A/C adapter, as the ones we used with broken wires effectively were. But replacing that component may or may not be possible; though I'm experienced in soldering, from the pictures I saw it kind of looked surface-mount-with-the-pins-under-it (whatever you call that...)? If it is I don't know how I could desolder it. Even if it's got the pins out from under it like a decent IC it's be a massive pain without a microscope nor a soldering tool better than my cheap radioshack one. :P Now I've got a Lenovo with the same problem, so in any event I'll be studying it for a while.

Gonz!

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 05:06:44 PM »
      I had that same exact problema with my Dell Latitude D820 a while back ago.  The problema was that my charge r got busted, and I was using a charger that wasnt powerful enough.  Original was 90W, I was using a 65W, and got the same message, connected, not charging.  Then when I got my new 90W charger, it wouldnt charge.  After I changed the battery out, the problema was resolved.  The weird thing was that before I changed the battery, It gave the the same message intermittently with the 90W charger.  Sometimes it would charge OK, then the next time it would not.  I never knew what the problema relaly was.