Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Toshiba laptop hard drive help  (Read 2819 times)

natetc

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Toshiba laptop hard drive help
    « on: December 14, 2014, 02:58:13 PM »
    Hi,

I need some help with a Toshiba Laptop hard drive I'm trying to retreive data from. Long story short, my Toshiba laptop died a few weeks ago, I pulled the Toshiba HD from the laptop and bought a HD usb connecting cable . I plugged it into a Dell laptop that I had and was able to pull files, however after the 3rd time I can no longer connect. Whenever I plug in the HD to the Dell laptop I receive the message that the HD cannot be read and needs to be formatted. I click on do not format, but then the message keeps popping up, so I just disconnect the USB.

Is there a jumper setting on this hard drive that I need to set it to slave? Is there any other thoughts that you may have that can help? Thanks in advance.

Here are the details of the HD:
    Toshiba MK5055GSXN
    HD2H28 B
    500GB - 54rpm

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Toshiba laptop hard drive help
    « Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 03:21:30 PM »
    If the drive is corrupt or damaged you can have this happen where the system wants to reformat the drive.

Were you able to retrieve all the data you needed off of this drive before this issue popped up?

There is a tool I use called GetDataBack NTFS that is able to recover files from a drive like yours, but the software is not free. I have yet to find a free tool that is able to correct for problems like this. You can use the trial version of this software to see if it can recover your files first and then when you are able to view your files you would have to pay the fee to register it in order to be able to transfer the files from this drive to a healthy drive. I bought this software about 8 years ago and it has worked on 4 out of 5 drives that were crashed to recover data, 2 of them had the clunk of death, but because they still spun, it was able to read the data with the sweeping of the head and assemble files and recover them to a healthy drive.

https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

natetc

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 03:35:32 PM »
      Thanks for the suggestion.

I was able to pull a few files, but thinking this would be a permanent solution I didn't think it would crap out so suddenly. Thus I did not pull everything I needed off the hard drive. In fact it was my main laptop so there is a ton of stuff I still need from it.

Other than using this program, do you think the hard drive crapped out during one of my sessions where I plugged it into the Dell? I'm thinking if I plug it into another laptop it may work? Obviously you've been through this, do you think this is isolated to this Dell laptop?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 03:50:48 PM »
      David's solution is probably the best...doesn't matter how the drive failed...at this point it's irrelevant...
      If you want the data pay for the app.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "