Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How can I make printer do Red or Blue in place of Black?  (Read 3287 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
How can I make printer do Red or Blue in place of Black?
« on: December 30, 2014, 05:51:53 PM »
Is there  a simple way to get my old HP lDeskjet  848 substitute a color for black?
I am running out of black ink, but still have color. I need some documents that I can take with me in printed form. No for business, just personal reading.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: How can I make printer do Red or Blue in place of Black?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 05:59:00 PM »
Red and blue use black...

You can try it...set the print coler in print preview however...i predict a waste of other ink...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 07:05:01 PM »
Red and blue use black...

You can try it...set the print coler in print preview however...i predict a waste of other ink...
I hardly ever use the color. Most of what I read is black and white.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 01:30:52 AM »
If the documents are editable (for example Microsoft Word) you could just globally change the font colour (edit menu - Select all, then select red or blue or whatever in the font dialog). However a problem with inkjet printers is that they use up ALL your ink even when you don't use all the colours. When you turn them on, and periodically after so many pages, they run a "cleaning cycle" to make sure the print head nozzles are not clogged. They do this by firing ink through all the nozzles. This means that even if you print everything in (say) red, the other colours will still run out, and if black is getting low it will soon empty and most likely the printer will then refuse to print anything, even though only one colour is empty. The business model inkjet makers use is mostly "sell the printers cheap and make money on the ink". When my girlfriend was doing her college course we kept running out of ink so I bought a Canon personal laser printer (black only) for the equivalent of 75 US dollars; we are still on the same toner cartridge 6 years later.

I have seen that some inkjet companies (Epson, for one) have recently brought in printers with huge ink tanks advertised to "last for years", for example the Epson EcoTank range has 4,000 claimed page capacity which they say will last "2 years". Of course everybody's usage is different. My Canon has a 3,000 page toner cartridge. After the college course finished we didn't use it so much, which is probably why that cartridge has lasted so long. We take digital photos to a shop to print out if we need to.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 10:15:53 PM »
Thanks for your remarks.
I am going to try and refill some of my carts. I have an old HP 848C that will print with a dry cart. It is a 'dumb' printer, so I am going to fool it with home filled cart.
Lire you said, the new printers will complain when the cart is 'almost' empty.

N ow that gasoline prices are going down, it is time to reduce the cost of printer ink!

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 10:43:09 PM »
If you only need black and white and want low cost pages - Get a laser printer.  WAY cheaper to run and they tend to be much more reliable (albeit more expensive to buy in the first place).

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 12:17:57 AM »
If you only need black and white and want low cost pages - Get a laser printer.  WAY cheaper to run and they tend to be much more reliable (albeit more expensive to buy in the first place).
I know you are right. In fact, I had a laser printer at one time. But it wore out and I no longer do not have a way to make that kind of capital investment. I live on my Social Security and it is very hard to save up enough money for a major investment. But I already had the old desk jet on  hand, so I stated using it . And it has been drinking ink.