Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Shuts off Without warning? PSU or Motherboard?  (Read 3013 times)

Antimax14

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Computer Shuts off Without warning? PSU or Motherboard?
    « on: January 11, 2015, 03:37:46 PM »
    I recently built a new computer. Here is my specs

AMD FX 8320 8 Core
    MSI r7 260x OC Edition
    PNY 4GB 1333 RAM
    1TB HARD DRIVE
    THERMALTAKE TR2 600W PSU
    ASrock 980DE3/U3S3

I was working on my computer trying to put the motherboard on the case. I was thinking why is the motherboard uneven and not fitting in the case. So I just screw some of the motherboard holes, and force screw by pushing the motherboard to the case. But the next day I realized that I didn't put the standoff, which is why it was uneven and wouldn't fit on the case. I don't know if I destroyed the back of the motherboard. There are some bent pins, but I think it was already there when I got the motherboard. The pins are not touching anything. I also checked that some of the pins are scratched, I will post a picture on the bottom. But when I boot everything up, it turns on, tried to install windows 7 it works until it tells me to restart, and when It was doing something on the registry after it restarted, the computer shuts itself down, and I have to reset the installation, and then same thing happens. So I tried another hard drive with pre-installed windows 7, and works, but when I go to chrome, my computer shuts down, when I go to catalyst center, my computer shuts down, when I went to play gta sa, on the psu I hear sort of an electrical sound, and then it shuts down. When I played slender the arrival on ultra, it shuts down 5 minutes after playing, not instantly. It is not the cpu or gpu's fault since I stress test them 10 minutes each on 100% load, and computer never shuts down. But whenever the computer shuts down, I always here some sort of electrical sound inside the psu... I'm not sure if my motherboard is failing or my psu is bad. I'm planning to buy Corsair CX500, it has 38a on its +12v rails. But thermaltake tr2 only has 23a on its +12v rails. What do you thing is the problem?

IDK if that was already there or I scratched it from the case.

http://imageshack.com/a/img913/2152/bNYsX6.jpg
    http://imageshack.com/a/img904/3017/NebSVr.jpg
    http://imageshack.com/a/img673/5977/YGeodP.jpg
    « Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 03:49:20 PM by Antimax14 »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer Shuts off Without warning? PSU or Motherboard?
    « Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 04:11:22 PM »
    The damage you could have done could be very serious. I am questioning how with no standoffs used does the motherboard match up with the rear panel when it would be about 1/4" too low if screwed directly to the backplate. To patch up with the rear panel and mounted to the backplate the board would have been bent/warped when tightening the screws down. Also the video card installed wouldnt match up to the board that is too low for the PCIE connection and so I am questioning how that even was connected in this situation unless that was also forced to plug in.  :-X

The only time standoffs are not used is when its like a case that has raised domes that are drilled out in which the domes that are in the punched tin/steel backplate act as the standoff. 99% of the cases out there require standoffs though so I feel your in a bad situation with this new build.

If the motherboard is still covered by warranty, I'd consider returning it as a troubled board, not telling the company that the board was installed wrong and get a replacement, and then with the new replacement board be sure to use stand offs and install your CPU and RAM and video card etc to that other board which had not been stressed/damaged by improper assembly.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Computer Shuts off Without warning? PSU or Motherboard?
    « Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 04:44:10 AM »
    If the motherboard is still covered by warranty, I'd consider returning it as a troubled board, not telling the company that the board was installed wrong and get a replacement, and then with the new replacement board be sure to use stand offs and install your CPU and RAM and video card etc to that other board which had not been stressed/damaged by improper assembly.

You'll most likely be charged for this if you return it to any kind of competent retailer who inspects their returns, and the manufacturer will quite rightly void the warranty and return the board to you at your cost due to improper installation.

You've damaged your board and need to replace it.  You could also have other issues (I would never recommend an MSI graphics card and Asrock board for example) but you need to address this before you can troubleshoot anything else as it's physically damaged.  Some of the Thermaltake TR2 series are also poor quality PSUs, what exact model is it that you have?