Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: partition wizard needed  (Read 3335 times)

ckch03

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    partition wizard needed
    « on: February 23, 2015, 05:41:04 AM »
    ok let me star by saying I just got a used hard drive and I have 2 partition drives one is c drive and other is d drive but it is a logical. I have no problems with this hard drive it really good but I am trying to take the space on c to put it to d logical and nothing seems to work. this logical partition will not expand and I cannot put unallocated space on it. tried EaseUS and Minitool, and Aomei partition manager software and none of them work to add space to my drive d. I am adding a shot of my current partition figuration so if anyone can help me please let me know

thankyou

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: partition wizard needed
    « Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 07:14:08 AM »
    There does not seem to be any problem.In Windows, the power to change the size of a partition is limited. The general rule is to make the drive smaller by allowing more unused space after the partition.  In other words, the right side of the graphic. But tools like Mini-Tool and Easeus are more flexible. But even with those tools, a reboot may be needed. All other programs must be shut down.
    Here is link to Easeus.
    http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/
    You may want to proactive on a old drive until you get the knack. Make a mistake and you lose your data and even the system.

Windows and Linux programs differ in representation of the extended partition. In Linux it is partition 5, but does not hold  data. The logical partitions will be shown inside partition 5. Then when you create a logical partition, such  might  be 6, 7 or 8 or higher.
    On the other side, how Windows numbers partitions is a bit of a mystery. Windows may number the first logical portion as 4  when there are  3 primary partitions on the drive. I am not sure of how that works.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 07:21:42 AM »
    Who setup this HDD ? ?

Personally i would wipe both partitions...format the full HDD as NTFS and do a clean install of the OS...
    But that's just me.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 07:42:22 AM »
    I agree with Patio. Your Windows files are on D: while your boot loader is on C: . There is no need for a setup like that when there is only one OS installed and only one physical drive. You're probably better off starting from scratch and during the install process delete the logical partition and create one single partition, especially given the small size of the drive. And if you don't need this drive for Windows you absolutely should create just one partition.

ckch03

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 07:48:00 AM »
      ok allan just how do I do all this I am not a partition person I don't know what I am doing also I bought the drive used don't know who set it up I needed a new drive asap and this one was great priced and available right then and there so again tell me how to wipe all this and make a new partition

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 07:55:28 AM »
      Is it going to be your Windows drive ? ?
      If so Boot to the Windows CD...in setup delete both existing partitions and press continue setup when it's done...
      Windows will then ask what file system you want...select NTFS...Windows will then partition it and setup will continue...

P.S. Remember to re-install ALL your drivers after the clean install is finished.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 08:01:10 AM »
      First, if this is going to be your primary drive it is a HUGE mistake to use a pre-owned drive. Hard drives are not expensive and you are only asking for trouble with a used drive.

Having said that, you have two options. First, if this is going to be your only or primary drive, boot to your Windows CD or DVD. The Windows installation process will begin and one of the first steps will be an option to delete and format partitions (see the link below for detailed instructions). You will then continue with the installation of Windows.

If it is going to be a secondary drive, just boot to Windows, enter disk management (START - RUN - diskmgmt.msc - press ENTER), delete all partitions on the secondary hard drive and format. Be sure to select the correct drive.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1_11.htm

ckch03

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 08:02:08 AM »
        is it possible to use a partition manager to take logical drive and put everything on c drive and then delete d drive

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 08:02:46 AM »
        D: Drive appears to contain Windows. Is this going to be your primary drive?

ckch03

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 08:10:22 AM »
          d has windows on it but I would like to make everything on c and make c primary and get rid of d hope that makes sense

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 08:31:27 AM »
          Did you see my instructions above ? ?

ckch03

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 08:36:08 AM »
            ok patio read them just I will reinstall windows but before that I will delete both drives and my question is will windows make the c drive automatically

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 08:55:28 AM »
            It's in my info...and yes.

ckch03

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 08:44:25 AM »
              patio you the man everything worked out fine except I had to wipe everything all the way down to nothing and restart from there but all went well and thanks a lot dude really thankyou

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 09:33:14 AM »
              Good news indeed...glad to hear you are fixed up...

BTW i was very clear on the fact it would involve a total wipe above.