Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Buying a New Laptop  (Read 2533 times)

hockeysticks

Topic Starter

Beginner

Buying a New Laptop
    « on: April 01, 2015, 02:25:07 PM »
    I am starting to look at new laptops as the 2 I have are way outdated.  My "newest" is an Acer Aspire Timeline X series 1830T-3425 model.  It has Windows 7. 

Here's what I need in order:  1. speed / multi-tasking ability 2. more speed / multi-tasking ability 3. harddrive space 4. battery life.

Any suggestions in keeping my investment under $500?  Or at least under $600?  Touch screen would be great!

Feel free to ask questions...

THANKS

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Buying a New Laptop
    « Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 02:57:22 PM »
    When you have a touch screen it is more than a laptop.
    Like this:
    Lenovo Flex 2 15-Inch Touch Screen Notebook (15D)
    Item: 1180100    Model: 59422542

Expect this to go for about $399.99 at retail outlets. The represents the lower end of quality laptops with touch.
    IMHO, stick with the brands that  already have a good reputation. If you want more speed, expect to have shorter battery life. And a big price tag. Really fast stats at about $1000 and up.
    The Lenovo Y50 Touch is suitable for gaming.

BTW: you will find some touch laptops now for $200, but you would not like them.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Buying a New Laptop
    « Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 08:19:24 AM »
    Really fast stats at about $1000 and up.
    I disagree, or would at least want to know more about the desired multi-tasking capability.  "Fast" is relative to the user's intended/normal use and expectations and concept of "fast".  What apps do you want to run in a multi-tasking mode? 

My 2-year old HP laptop (Win 8.1) had a retail price of $510 but OfficeMax ran a special sale where they dropped to price to $380 and I got it at that price plus tax.  It came with 4GB of RAM.  I added 4GB, for a total of 8GB.  I usually have multiple programs open at the same time. My laptop is not a touch screen but I believe you can now buy a touch screen for about the same price I paid for my laptop.