Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: black screen  (Read 1862 times)

antonio

black screen
« on: November 12, 2005, 02:59:04 PM »
I am trying to fix a notebook for a friend
It's a sony vio with OS XP home edition, AMD Athlon processor 1500+1.3GHz, 30 Gb HDD, 256Mb ram, Ati 3d Rage mobility M1 graphics chip, integrated 10BaseT/100Base Tx ethernet, NTSC video out.
This is what I have done; When I power on I don't hear any beep that might indicate that is somethin wrong with the hardware or software at the begining of booting up I click the F8 key to see if goes into a safe mode but I am not able to see anything because it continues to have the black screen so I don't know what it's happening in the back, I try to start all over again and I click CLT, ALT, Del, to see if it goes into bios but I don't know if it goes right into it because like I said the black screen do not allow me to see anything.
How can I be able to solve this problem.
MY friend lost his recovery disk, or does not recall where he put it, any advise will be helpful.
Tank you
Luis

The black screen is right from the moment that I power on the notebook. I conected external monitor to it but even with this monitor I am not able to see anything on this monitor I click Funtion Key and F7 key to switch to Vga, because on the F7 Key it has LCD/VGA  but nothing happens,  
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 04:58:34 PM by antonio »

pcdoc4christ

Re: black screen
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 03:30:11 PM »
Antonio:

LCD might be shot.  Try an external monitor.

Is it black from the get go, or do you see the flashing cursor and memory check and then it goes black?

Doc

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 03:32:10 PM »
If it works with an external monitor either your graphics adapter is shot (not as likely) or the screen is dead (much more likely and very expensive). In either case it will have to go to a shop that works on Sony for a repair.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 04:02:13 PM »
Antonio:

Yeah, i agree with GX1.

:)

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 05:06:53 PM »
    « Last Edit: Today at 10:58am by antonio »

Not a good idea antonio, keep your postings current to get the best results from people.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 05:05:09 AM »
    Antonio:

What FED may mean is that you should click the Reply button rather than the Modify button.