Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Assume MB is dead, help choose replacement  (Read 2355 times)

metman

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Assume MB is dead, help choose replacement
    « on: October 04, 2015, 12:30:35 PM »
    Thank you to all the volunteers, whether you're able to offer help or not!

Full disclosure: I was running AVG PC tuneup (http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-pctuneup) last night when I went to bed.

When I awoke this morning my PC was dead.  When I turn on the power I get no beeps.  No signal is sent to the monitor.  The monitor is working.  Everything is plugged in properly.  I unplugged all external devices, same result.  I removed all RAM.  Still no beeps.  I put the RAM back in, nothing.

All fans are running, optical drive still opens and the lights on the RAM still blink - so I assume the power supply is good.  Is that a fair assumption?

The computer is about five years old.  It's an Acer Aspire X1470.  The MB inside is a DAA75L - aParker 48.3FU01.011.

I can find the same MB on Amazon, but would have to wait for arrival.  Ideally I'd like to purchase locally from http://www.ncix.com/category/motherboards-64-107.htm , but I am unfamiliar with what specs to look at to be sure I get the same size, etc. MB.  I rarely use the PC these days so a cheap MB is all I need.  I only use the PC for word processing and internet - no gaming/video/etc.

If I'm missing a potential solution/fix, please share!  Otherwise a MB recommendation would be awesome.

Thank you again!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Assume MB is dead, help choose replacement
    « Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 01:11:52 PM »
    I'd start with a power supply swap. The symptoms are very common with a power supply that has failed and is giving out low voltages so the system cant truly start 100%.

metman

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Assume MB is dead, help choose replacement
      « Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 01:28:44 PM »
      Thank you!  I will try that first!