Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CMOS battery failure  (Read 4539 times)

BethClyde1987

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    CMOS battery failure
    « on: October 09, 2015, 06:28:37 PM »
    My sister gave me her old laptop. I changed the CMOS battery. The display screen is not working. I have it plugged up to an external screen. It shows this "The firmware has detected that a CMOS battery failure occurred <f1> continue". I tried hitting f1 and nothing happens. I have tried f2 after pressing the power button but it won't let me change the time or date that way. I have heard people talking about resetting a jumper or shorting a circuit, but I have no clue how to do this. I have to do all this myself because I am flat broke so I can't pay anyone to do it for me. I have a Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5050. Any help would be GREATLY a appreciated.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: CMOS battery failure
    « Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 06:27:20 AM »
    Double check to make sure all ribbon cables are installed correctly. There is a top and bottom to them. One side has the contacts and the other side is smooth plastic. I have seen before where people insert the ribbon cable upside down and lose their keyboard functionality where it worked prior to opening.

With the display if the display worked prior to opening it and not now. Then double check the connections. Some laptops have a video connection plus a connection for the backlight power. Curious as to why anyone would mess with this connection though as for usually the battery is accessible under the keyboard on laptops vs having to totally dismantle it to get to them.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 06:46:11 AM »
    Also i've gotten completely dead CMOS batteries fresh outta the package...they are on the shelfs a long time...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BethClyde1987

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 07:49:06 AM »
      DaveLembke

Thanks. I'll definitely make sure that both ends of the cables are connected.
      The backlight is fine I think because I can see the screen flash when it powers down.
      As far as the battery goes. It was on the bottom side of the motherboard. It wasn't under the keyboard.

Patio

I paid $7 for my battery at the famous Wally World who don't give a crap about anything other than the money they make off people. Any clue where I can get it fresh and cheaper? I'll try anything...

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 09:35:44 AM »
      If you have a multimeter you can check to see if the battery is 3V. Additionally make sure its installed the right way facing down.

BethClyde1987

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 09:40:18 AM »
        Yeah, the battery is facing the right way. I looked up images on Google to make sure. I can't get to my multimeter right now. We just did a major cleaning and my stuff I don't use frequently is locked up.

BethClyde1987

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 11:52:56 AM »
          UPDATE:
          The display screen is working fine, but it still says that a CMOS battery failure occurred. I just bought the battery for $7 at WalMart.

DaveLembke

Sage
          « Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 12:09:43 PM »
          If you press F1 to continue does this system otherwise function fine? What did you have to do to get your display to work again?

BethClyde1987

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 05:44:51 PM »
            Thanks for the help everyone. :-)
            I plugged in an external keyboard and reset the time and date in the BIOS and that fixed it.

BethClyde1987

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 05:46:07 PM »
              Dave: for the display I went in and made sure that all my wires were connected.