Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: adding more RAM  (Read 2233 times)

bull-dg

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    adding more RAM
    « on: February 06, 2016, 01:58:04 PM »
    I have ddr2-3200, CL 5, unbuffered, udimm, non-ecc.  What does it all mean. I'm a beginner. Some say CL 2, 533 Mhz, 666 Mhz, 667 mhz etc. Can I interchange any of these? Can I use CL 2 instead of CL 5 for example, or P.C. 5300 instead of P.C. 3200? I'm still using Windows X.P. My email address is [removed to prevent spam]
    « Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 02:03:49 PM by Calum »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: adding more RAM
    « Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 01:52:54 PM »
    Need to know what system your planning on using the RAM on... make/model of computer or motherboard make/model if a custom build or mix n match build from other dead systems with mixed good parts.

That Ram if it is in fact DDR2 3200 is VERY SLOW ( 400Mhz FSB ) and I wouldnt bother with it unless you have a old Pentium 4 or Pentium D etc that requires it with a 800Mhz FSB etc.

If your system came with 533 or 667 I would stick with those and not mix. If your successful at mixing the end result would be all RAM underclocking to meet the max speed of the slower RAM. Sure you can increase memory capacity, but unfortunately doing this at the cost of performance because you now slowed the rate in which the CPU communicates with the system memory!

btw... not a good idea to share e-mail address in forums, there are web crawlers out there that try to farm e-mail addresses this way and then you get flooded with spam. I notified a moderator to go in and erase this if your unable to.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 02:04:22 PM »
    I've removed the email address to avoid you getting flooded with spam, as Dave said :)
    Welcome to the forums!

bull-dg

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 07:17:07 PM »
      Thanks for removing my email. I wasn't advised not to put it up. Thanks once again. Also thanks for the information.