Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Advice on my Computer Build!  (Read 2628 times)

Dafaria

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Advice on my Computer Build!
    « on: April 04, 2016, 04:54:54 PM »
    I'd like some help on my computer build as I am a beginner to this kind of thing.

I'm getting an i7 6700k with a Z170 motherboard. Is the Z170-AR good enough? Or should I go for a different company/specific board? Like what is the actual difference between them - eg the ASRock Extreme7+ which is about $100 more expensive.

Also, I have THIS SSD http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-N5E250BW which from what I have been told is meant for a laptop. Is there any way for it to work in my desktop?

Finally, my computer is making a lot of noise... Is this because it just hasn't been cleaned in a while, or is there something I can buy / etc in order to quiet it down a bit?

Thanks,
    -Dafaria

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Advice on my Computer Build!
    « Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 04:59:55 PM »
    Welcome to the forums :)

I'm getting an i7 6700k with a Z170 motherboard. Is the Z170-AR good enough? Or should I go for a different company/specific board? Like what is the actual difference between them - eg the ASRock Extreme7+ which is about $100 more expensive.

The differences between various boards essentially come down to features, looks, and reliability.  If the features of the Z170-AR suit you, and you're happy with the layout in terms of available slots, ports, and so forth, there's no reason to spend more in my opinion, and Asus boards tend to be pretty solid in terms of reliability.  I don't have a "go-to" recommendation for Z170 boards myself but someone else may chime in.

Also, I have THIS SSD http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-N5E250BW which from what I have been told is meant for a laptop. Is there any way for it to work in my desktop?

All you need is a board with an M.2 slot, and it'll fit right in and work in a desktop board.  The Z170-AR has one of these slots, most boards these days do have one or two anyway.

Finally, my computer is making a lot of noise... Is this because it just hasn't been cleaned in a while, or is there something I can buy / etc in order to quiet it down a bit?

That depends what's making the noise - I realise that sounds like an obvious thing to say, so let me explain.  If it's fan noise, then it probably does just need a good clean.  Even a small coating of dust on fan blades will make the fan louder for two reasons, one because it becomes less aerodynamic so it doesn't cut through the air as cleanly, and two because it will push less air due to this so if it's a variable speed fan, it'll most likely need to run faster to push the same amount of air as if it was clean.  Also, dust can greatly reduce the efficiency of heatsinks, again a small coating of dust will reduce its heat transfer capabilities meaning the fan will have to spin faster to cool the CPU/GPU/whatever it's cooling.
    So, if it's just general noise, then yes, cleaning your PC inside will more than likely quieten it down.  Spray the inside with some compressed air to dislodge any loose dust, carefully wipe the fan blades with a soft cloth or some kitchen towel, and the same for the heatsink if it's easily accessible, you could also use cotton buds/q-tips (depending where you're from/what you call them) for this.  Don't use a vacuum cleaner!  This will easily kill components due to static.

If you have more of a grinding or clicking noise, that could be a HDD on the way out, or a fan bearing failing.

If your machine's still loud after cleaning and it's not a failing fan or HDD, there are a few other options (dried out thermal paste springs to mind, depending what sort of machine you have, some OEMs use paste that tends to dry out after a few years and therefore the heatsink doesn't cool the CPU effectively meaning the fan gets rather loud).

Regarding your build, if you'd like to post a complete list of any parts you're reusing and what you're thinking of buying, I'm sure we can offer some advice and guidance on any changes that might be of use - you may be able to save a little money here and there, or get better bang for your buck.

zolton35

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Advice on my Computer Build!
      « Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 10:28:39 AM »
      http://pcpartpicker.com/

That is a pc builders best friend for many reasons.

1.You can make sure you have all the pieces needed to complete the build the way you want it.

2.It tells if some thing does not quite fit like wrong cpu socket and such.

3.It lists different online stores and prices to order from and you can pick and choose what stores you shop from and trust. And even has a total so you can adjust your build to fit within your total budget.

I love that site and use it a lot to finalize a build to get it to just how i want it. Then you can post a link to the build you set up to get others advice on either getting the cost down or to improve it. Its a useful tool whether you are a novice or an expert.