Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sizing handles and JPEG's in MS Word  (Read 3653 times)

Matt Young

Topic Starter

• Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Sizing handles and JPEG's in MS Word
    « on: June 30, 2016, 05:05:07 PM »
    I hope I am in the right place. When I import a jpeg into MS Word, sometimes I get black sizing handles. When I get such handles, I cannot use Insert Caption, and I cannot Group either with a text box or with a jpeg that has open sizing handles. Jpeg's with open sizing handles seem to work properly, and the caption "sticks" to the picture. I can't see any difference between 1 jpeg and another. Windows 10, Word 2010. Still working on it, but what is the significance of a black sizing handle? I have searched Microsoft Office Help and also Google, but so far no luck. Does anyone know what gives?  Many thanks!  Matt

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Sizing handles and JPEG's in MS Word
    « Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 08:39:23 PM »
    The filled-in sizing handles are for an embedded object, which you will often get from pasting from another program (like an image editor). For the "Open" handles you want to insert an actual picture using Insert->Picture instead of pasting.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Matt Young

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Sizing handles and JPEG's in MS Word
      « Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 08:38:05 AM »
      Splendid, thanks! (I dragged them from a File Explorer window, but I will use Insert hereafter.)  I simply cd not find that information anywhere.  Rgds, Matt