Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Changing E--Mail Providers.  (Read 4541 times)

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
    • Experience: Beginner
    Changing E--Mail Providers.
    « on: July 20, 2016, 04:39:42 AM »
    Hiya gents,  I am using Windows Live Mail as my provider.  I run Win 7 home and i want to move to another one.   Because of Win 10 and all the ballyhoo, Outlook is looking good.   I have come to you guys because I am not sure which way to go and my WLM is causing me no end of trouble, but it will have to go anyway.   I am keeping away from Win10 for as long as I can!   Your guidance and help here would be greatly valued my freinds.  I WANT TO MOVE A.S.A.P!   ;D

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Changing E--Mail Providers.
    « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 07:47:57 AM »
    WLM and Outlook are Email CLIENTS not PROVIDERS.  There's a big difference.  Based on your post, I think you mean you want to switch from using WLM as an Email client and start using Outlook.  Why not install it and try it?  There are other clients as well such as Thunderbird, eM, Mailbird and others.

What specific features are you looking for?

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
      « Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 08:31:30 AM »
      You are correct young man.   I have just installed "MONZILLA"  with some success.   I am at the moment trying to export my address book and other files to Monzilla.   WLLM is not having it however.

I am only looking for box standard e-mail medium..is all. One that gives me better  service than this crippled Live Mail that I am using!   >:( >:(

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 08:56:03 AM »
        I am at the moment trying to export my address book and other files to Monzilla.   WLLM is not having it however.
      The info at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/switching-thunderbird might help.  I have not used the procedure explained there but I think the source is reliable.  A search on migrating from windows live mail to thunderbird will yield many more references. 

I am only looking for box standard e-mail medium..is all. One that gives me better  service than this crippled Live Mail that I am using!   >:( >:(
      Hmm, how is WLM crippled?  I've used it in the past and dd not find it to be crippled. 

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
        « Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 10:44:27 AM »

Hmm, how is WLM crippled?  I've used it in the past and dd not find it to be crippled.

This is a long story my friend. Over time, my copy of WLM has become very 'BUGGY' ..at this moment it is throwing the same error message up at me every couple of seconds!  The is no error!   I have taken the problem to my internet providers "Virgin" and even they cannot solve the problem.  There is no problem!  So I am trying to get away as fast as I can.  Installing Monzilla seems to have improved Live Mail some (you won't believe).  Just as soon as I can get my stuff out of there, I will destroy it with great pleasure.   >:( >:(   Thanks for this connection mate it is appreciated.

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
          « Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 06:26:48 AM »
          In Monzilla  there is supposed to be a "tools" menu.   Do you know where thiss iss please??? >:( >:(

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
            • Yes
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 12:47:38 PM »
          In Monzilla  there is supposed to be a "tools" menu.   Do you know where thiss iss please??? >:( >:(

Firefox or Thunderbird?

Open Thunderbird
          You should see a Tab that may say Home.
          Go to the right of that NOT on the tab and Right Click and select Menu.
          "Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
            « Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 05:43:12 AM »
            Hiya Fellas!

Thanks for your help here.. I found the tools.    All this is such a pain I am going to transfer my contacts manually..  I have WLM AND Thunderbird running now so I can sort from here I think.  Concerned about Thunderbird, as I have started receiving mail form    DAEMON@VIRGINMIDIA who I do not know???   I delete the mail but its not a good start is it??? >:( >:( >:( >:(

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
              « Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 04:04:59 AM »
              I have removed Thunderbird guys!  Leaning more and more towards "Outlook"  in some shape or form!   Which way to go though??? ??? ??? ???

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
                « Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 05:26:25 AM »
                Guess what I just found  "Up to date Outlook Express"    www.snipca.com/21230   Say's it will work for Win 10!    WOW!  My old OE ..a sight for sore eyes guys!   ;D ;D

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 06:53:18 AM »
                You realise that's written by them...and not Microsoft  correct ? ?
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                • Certifications: List
                • Experience: Expert
                « Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 10:38:42 AM »
                A large number of e-mail clients are written for Windows. In theory at least, they all are compatible with Windows 10. Maybe a few exceptions.
                Here is a helpful reference:
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_email_clients
                There is information about which protocols each client can use.
                The list includes freeware and discontinued software.

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
                  « Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 03:56:55 AM »
                  Thanks you guys for your input here.  On the ball as usual!    I have Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail installed now.  Believe it or not WLM is behaving itself at last!  I am not looking forward to Win 10 with what I have heard about it.  I shall run with Win 7 for as long as I can lads before moving.  So I should be OK mail-wise for now.  ;D ;D