Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: making a rain room  (Read 2311 times)

gord99

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    making a rain room
    « on: October 11, 2016, 07:56:04 AM »
    I'm trying to figure out how to set up the hardware to play rain sounds in my bedroom-for sleep and relaxation and ideally just have it on all the time so I don't have to start things up when I go in there.  I'd like it to be as efficient and small as possible.  I do have extra computers that would work but I was trying to play it from an unused smart phone that would plug into some powered computer speakers but it doesn't seem to work as yet. This setup would be small and low power.  Am I missing something like is a smartphone not a strong enough voltage to drive the speakers?  How about an iPod?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    Re: making a rain room
    « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 09:03:02 AM »
    Do the speakers you refer to have an external power source?  I doubt any smartphone provide enough power to effectively use computer speakers unless the speakers have a separate power source to power them. 

Based on my experience, I believe I would get bluetooth speakers to work with the phone.  I have a bluetooth on-ear headset I use with my smartphone and tablet computer.  With my headset, I can affect volume with a combination of volume control on the phone or tablet, and the headset.  I imagine volume control with bluetooth speakers could also be controlled by both phone and a volume control on speakers. 

But, Bluetooth is not the only option, according to http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BtDkyx3mnV2/learn/10-ways-to-get-great-audio-from-your-smartphone.html

gord99

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 04:15:36 PM »
      The speakers do have a power xformer but they don't seem to work which is funny because they used to and haven't been touched since then. 

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 06:37:27 PM »
      Take a close look.

The iPhone and other phones use a connector which differences from speakers.
      Rain:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTBHE2_dJeI

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 08:54:49 PM »
      The speakers do have a power xformer but they don't seem to work which is funny because they used to and haven't been touched since then.
      Was that former usage with a computer or a smartphone?