Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Encrypting links when sending them? Opinions ?  (Read 2649 times)

JordanMihailov

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Encrypting links when sending them? Opinions ?
    « on: January 24, 2017, 09:24:23 AM »
    Hi all, recently I needed to do that so that I can send my drawings (mainly for approval) more secured. I’ve come across and used that site: http://urlcrypt.to/
     Please give my your opinion about if it is any good because i honestly have no knowledge in that field.
    I’ll appreciate your feedback.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Encrypting links when sending them? Opinions ?
    « Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 11:12:14 AM »
    Why not send drawings by e-mail attachment? Why have an active link out there for people and web crawlers to connect to to farm info?

I havent used any services like this but would advise the setting password option if this must be used, but I would not go this route of using this service and I explain below why:

You can add one more layer of security by enabling the captcha option or by setting a password. This way only people who successfully pass the captcha test or enter the password can see the links, while all the bots being rejected.

Thing is that I dont quite get is that if you have a web server with this info at a url path, and your using this service to mask the actual path. I would think that you would need to use a hosting service that provides this type of masking otherwise your actual domain is still out there to be crawled and so your still exposed.

Example being say you have www . mybusiness . com

You use their service and they give you www. encryptedurl . com

Now your information is exposed in 2 locations at your domain as well as at the encryptedurl that is password protected but your domain where it originated from is not protected the same.

This site states:

What is URL Crypt?

URL Crypt is a free service that lets you encrypt your links. There are hundreds of bots and servers that crawl the web for URLs and access them, copy the content or try to find who created them. By using URL Crypt, you are now safe from these risks.

Our mission is to protect you and all the other users of your URLs.

How URL Crypt can help?

Internet is not a safe place. URL Crypt is meant to help you protect your links by encrypting them in a safe way.

You can add one more layer of security by enabling the captcha option or by setting a password. This way only people who successfully pass the captcha test or enter the password can see the links, while all the bots being rejected.

All I see is a drop box for an already existing URL which is an exposed URL that is still out there to be crawled and information gathered from and they just give a means to bounce off of them like a proxy to hide the origin of the URL under a dynamic URL mask.

Looking at this website, I wouldnt trust it with protecting drawings from being stolen etc. Your actual website and web server needs to have authentication and be patched for all security attack types to protect your data, and then a 1 time use password given to a trusted individual by phone or e-mail. This way it allows a single individual a one time use of access to these files and hopefully they themselves are not a crook or have a security issue at their end for the info to become stolen such as they download it to their laptop and the laptop has a data leak hack on it or laptop stolen and information now in the wrong hands if the laptop itself is not encrypted to prevent someone from spinning up the drive with Linux and accessing the files getting around the OS password of the laptop.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    « Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 11:36:47 AM »
    Here's something I just found via a Google search: Encrypt Gmail and Google Drive with the Flip of a Switch  Looks like it could be an option for you.

JordanMihailov

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 08:53:09 AM »
      I don't send by email because the files i send are often more than 100-200mb so you know more more mail's have much less  limit. As for example i had to send file that was around 50mb and the receiver jest couldn't get it. So i decided to upload it somewhere and get link. There are sites about that, but than again i didn't know if it's safe so i wanted to giva that link more security and that's how i did it.

JordanMihailov

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 08:55:00 AM »
        "Now your information is exposed in 2 locations at your domain as well as at the encryptedurl that is password protected but your domain where it originated from is not protected the same."

So you say that even like that the site where i upload the file the chain breaks ?

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 09:11:41 AM »
        I think I'd use a cloud storage service for this and then allow your intended recipient access to the file through the service's file sharing feature.  I'll suggest www.adrive.com

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 09:19:54 AM »
        Agree with Soybean with 1 caveat'....
        On that online storage account i would create a seperate folder for the user who will access it and keep the shared files in there...
        Therefore the password if set properly will only allow access to the files you choose...not the full contents of your online storage.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 09:23:45 AM »
        Agree with Soybean with 1 caveat'....
        On that online storage account i would create a seperate folder for the user who will access it and keep the shared files in there...
        Therefore the password if set properly will only allow access to the files you choose...not the full contents of your online storage.
        Yes, that's what I had in mind.  I should have been more clear on that point. 

JordanMihailov

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 09:29:51 AM »
          How come the cloud storage will be safer ? Would it be easy for the recipient to download files ?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 10:03:46 AM »
          If you are giving them access to files of course they can DLoad them...
          But without specifics to what you want to do it's extremely hard to define your goals on our end...

More details would be helpful...

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 02:13:20 PM »
          How come the cloud storage will be safer ?
          Upon logging on to the site, http changes to https, which indicates the browser is in a secure, encrypted mode.   
          Would it be easy for the recipient to download files ?
          Yes.  As the primary holder of the account with the cloud service, you need to specifically authorize access by the intended recipient.   The cloud service website will have info on doing this.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 05:38:34 PM »
          More details would be helpful...

JordanMihailov

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 10:31:36 AM »
            I wanted that process to be as simple as it can be without any attachments as getting cloud storage( i don't understand it) and free. I don't see my boss agreeing on spending money on that kind of service:) i don't send so many files that often. It happens no more than few times a month the best. As i said before the upload site from which i get the download link expires after 24 hours i thing( not completely sure). It's suppose to be one time operation. I give access only to the recipient ( i think ).

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 11:12:09 AM »
            Then a Free Cloud service would be fine for your needs with no cost to the Boss...

However i highly suggest that he takes those savings and gives you a raise...