Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I print stuff off my tablet?  (Read 6840 times)

JackCatalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Familiar
    Re: Can I print stuff off my tablet?
    « Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 10:01:25 PM »
    I should've clarified. All I have is the tablet. My computer is down. Does that matter? I tried to print something but I couldn't send it to my email. It didn't say I could.

I mean I downloaded the file, which is a pdf file, but when I wanted to print it, I don't have the option to send it to my email.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 10:43:42 PM »
    He could also try e-mailing the document to a friend or associate.
    When it is very important to have a printed document from a smart phone, one can go to the stationary store and ask them if they have a service where the document can be sent from a smart phone to one of their printers or two the e-mail address of the store.
    He could try stores that sell office supplies, printers and related services. Here in the United States who would be stores such as:
    Staples.
    The UPS store.
    Office Depot, OfficeMax.
    B&W Copies.
    Or any store that offers printing services.

JackCatalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 11:20:14 PM »
      But I have a tablet. Your mentioning a smart phone.  The thing is that all it says is print which I click on but where is my document going? Is it printing? The links above mention adding classic printers but that doesn't seem to be working or I'm not doing it right.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 09:11:36 AM »
      OK, I should have said tablet.
      Current Polaroid latests being sold are Android 4.2 or higher.
      Here is one  general way people print from an Android tablet.

How to add your printer to Google Cloud Print

Also, as mentioned, you can send a document by email. Find somebody nearby that has a printer and email the document to them.

JackCatalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 01:13:25 PM »
        I have the google cloud print app. But the link that you  gave, I followed the instructions or tried to  but it's not working for me. There's supposed to be 3 horizontal lines to add the printer but I don't have horizontal lines.

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        « Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 05:57:29 PM »
        I'm really not sure why people seem to be overcomplicating the situation so much.  Here is the simple answer:

You can print from Android however you need to have a printer that supports "Google Cloud Print".  If you can give us the model of your current printer I'd be happy to check if it is compatible. If it's not then the only option to print directly from your tablet without a PC would be to buy a new, compatible printer.

JackCatalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 07:13:21 PM »
          You know, I don't think Lexmark is compatible with Google Cloud, at least my printer as I've checked. It's an X4580 and I don't think that particular printer supports it.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 08:19:13 PM »
          Here is a link:
          http://support.lexmark.com/index?locale=EN&page=product&userlocale=EN_UK&productCode=LEXMARK_X4580&focusedTab=PUBLICATIONS#1

Check the user guide. It is a wireless printer and has some way of getting an IP address from a router.
          The manual says it has a MAC number, so they did intend or it to have some kind of network use using the wireless radio.
          The manual has specific information for both Apple and Windows users. Once setup, the printer does not have to use the computer to get into the Internet.
          Networking the printer
          For complete networking information, please refer to the
          Getting Started
          Installing the printer on a network
          Follow the instructions for the networking method you want to use. Make sure the selected network is set up and working properly, and that all relevant
          devices are turned on. For more inform ation on your spec ific network, see
          your network documentation or consult the person who set up the network.
          Installing an internal wireless print server The printer you purchased may contain an internal wireless print server that allows the printer to be used on a wireless
          network. If your printer does not have  an internal wireless print server al
          ready installed, you can purchase one separately. Use the following in
          structions to install the in ternal wireless print serve
          The above would mean Lexmark wants the printer to work on a wireless network.
          Found on Google Play:
          Lexmark Print Service Plugin
          It has bee uninstalled over 100,0000 times in a few months and has a good overall radiating. But some users wee very unhappy.
          Hope that's of some help.    :)
          « Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 08:31:37 PM by Geek-9pm »

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #23 on: March 10, 2017, 08:50:45 PM »
          I have a Brother printer. I found an app called Brother iPrint&Scan.  I installed it, accepted the User Agreement, and succeeded in printing a Word file from my Android tablet.

Since you have a Lexmark printer, I searched Google Play Store and saw and app called Lexmark Print Service Plugin.  Overall review rating was 3.5, which is not good.  I would try it if I had a Lexmark printer.  If I could not get it to work, I would uninstall it rather than leave it installed.  No point in cluttering your device with apps that don't work.

strollin

Adviser
            • Yes
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #24 on: March 11, 2017, 05:02:10 AM »
          If your printer is supported by your PC, then printing to it from your tablet via Google Cloud print is supported.  The way Google Cloud print works is that you install a small program on your PC that connects to the Google Cloud print server.  When you want to print a document from your tablet, the document is mailed to an email account you will have on the Google Cloud Server.  The Cloud server will receive the email and then download it automatically to your PC and then it will be printed on your PC's connected printer.

Getting Google Cloud print all setup can be a bear, but once you get it set up, it works well enough.  Drawback is that yoou have to have your PC on and connected to the internet in order to print from your tablet.

JackCatalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2017, 11:48:27 AM »
            My PC is down. All I have is the tablet.  If I was to get my computer to work, then I'd be able to print?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #26 on: March 11, 2017, 02:27:13 PM »
            JackCatalano,
            So you have a tablet that works and has internet. Right?
            So your Desktop is down and you never set up the printer for wireless . Right?
            To set up the printer first time  yu need a computer with a USB poet. After that, you can get to the printer using wireless.
            Ask a friend with a laptop over and setup your Lexmark printer to run wireless.
            the USB drivers for the Lexmark are on the Lexmark web site.

I assume that Lexmark has wireless. It says it does in the advertisements.
            Once the printer goes wireless, you can control it from your tablet.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #27 on: March 11, 2017, 05:08:31 PM »
            Forget all this...put the file on a USB stik and go to Office Max and print it...
            Or as i suggested earlier a few times email it...to someone with a printer.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "