Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Oh Crap...  (Read 2195 times)

Mr_Smith

Oh Crap...
« on: December 08, 2005, 06:38:04 PM »
Ok heres the problem,

Its been like this for about a month and when I put a disk in there it dosent read it. Does anybody know what to do?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 06:42:00 PM by Mr_Smith »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Oh Crap...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 07:32:30 PM »
I'm guessing that only the CD and Floppy dirve fail to show? Have you made any changes to your system just before this happened? Are you the administrator of this computer?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 09:00:10 PM »
    Mr_Smith.... I would try this .....click Start /Control Panel/System ....then in system properties ...click the hardware tab ...then device manager and look and see if you have a dvd/cd-rom listed .........If not , exit shut down.......then remove the side panel on your computer  case ......( then after touching your fingers to the metal case ....to drain any static charge) carefully uplug the two connections on the rear of the cd-rom .......( there will be a wide flat grey cable and a four pin power cable .)  While you in there follow the wide grey IDE cable that was plugged into the rear of the CD -rom down to the motherboard and ensure the plug at that end is plugged in tightly. ( be careful not to touch anything other than the plug )  Now restart , and when it finishes booting ...shut it down again . Now Plug the IDE cable that you removed back in ...and then the 4 pin power plug........now reboot and watch the lower right corner of your monitor ......you should see the message .....Windows has detected new hard ware .....Then you a few monents later you should get the message ....your new hardware has been successfully installed and is now ready to use .......
    Now if Windows doesnt see the new hardware ......its either the IDE cable or the CD-rom itself ...... BTW is there anything else plugged into the IDE cable ( the cable has a plug at either end and one in the middle .)

let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Mr_Smith

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 01:26:41 PM »
    Sorry for not posting but I havent got a chance. I'll tell you how it goes in a few hours.