Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems after ram instalation  (Read 4186 times)

Shawn Z

Problems after ram instalation
« on: August 03, 2004, 04:05:00 PM »
has anyone installed a new ram chip into your pc then when starting up in normal mode you suffer; no mouse abilities, 16 colour format and 640x480 screan res, not able to run any program but basic windows ME and msn messenger? I can use the computer for msn and pinball but i have to access things with the keyboard only,
the system specs are : 600mhz Pentium 3
                                    40 gb hard drive
                                    384 mg ram (128+256)
                                    windows ME
Ive tried restarting it several times, tried removing the new ram chip, dusted out the system with an air can. I also have no sound capabilities. When i try to adjust the resolution and colours after i restart for it to take effect its right back to the same problem... plz help me

Computer_Commando

Re: Problems after RAM installation
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 07:25:36 PM »
Are you saying:  without new RAM chip...all is fine; with new RAM chip...problem.

Is this RAM chip new from the store or new to you?
Is it the proper type of RAM for your PIII-600?
I am guessing it should be 168-pin DIMM, PC100 or PC133.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Problems after ram instalation
    « Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 07:32:41 PM »
    Shawn Z.....First of all , what kind of ram does your Motherboard and CPU support.
    It appears you had a 128 stick in first and it worked ok ...then you put the 256 stick in the 2nd Dimm socket and funny things happened.  When the pc booted up did you hear any beeping ?
    Can you tell us what kind of a motherboard you have....
    Model # would be nice.
    let us know
    dl65  ???

« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 07:36:03 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Shawn Z

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 07:17:22 PM »
    okay heres what i forgot to say
    prior to installing the ram chip that screwed things up, i already had 2 chips in and they worked fine a 256 and an origional 128, the problems screwed up on the boot up when i put in the thrid chip which was also a 256.
    unfortunatly I cannot get you a serial number on the motherboard because I cannot find any info on the visiable parts of it to suggest a serial key, and the store I bought the motherboard from installed it and disposed of the box and that was quite some time ago with the warentee long last. When i first turned it on after installing the chip as with ever time i turn it on i get no continuus beeping sound other than the usual few beeps that ive always gotten off start up. So hopefull thats enough info so u good kind people can help me with finding a solution.

MalikTous

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 07:34:04 PM »
    Remove the 128MB chip and install both 256MBs, Win98 does not accept more than 512MB RAM. if it balks with that, try swapping the 256s around so they are in different slots. Use the first two RAM slots.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 07:39:40 PM »
      Shawn Z....If you shut down your pc and reboot ........As it starts to post it goes thru the memory check etc .....usually the make and model of the board is displayed on the screen for a few seconds .If you hit the pause key it will stop the bootup and you can see exactly what the board is. then just hit enter and it wll continue booting up . Do you still have the motherboard manual ? That would sure help......
      So you have 1 stick of sd ram 256 mg + 1stick of sd ram 128 mg.........what speed is it pc 100 or pc133........is it buffered or unbuffered .........ECC or non ECC ?
      Do you know the clock speed of your pc is it 100 or 133FSB..    If necessary look at the existing ram that is working ok .....it should have a sticker on it as to what it is. If for example your machine wants pc100 ram......some pc133 ram will work because it is backwards compatible but all pc133 ram is not ...perhaps thats what your problem is ......so the more info you can give us the better .
      Is the FSB of your pc 200 or 266 ?
      let us know
      dl65  ???
      « Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 07:43:10 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.