Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Restarts When I Plug Into USB 2.0  (Read 5541 times)

patrickhannon

Computer Restarts When I Plug Into USB 2.0
« on: December 29, 2005, 10:39:05 AM »
HELP!

I just built my own computer with a Just4PC Case from TigerDirect (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=674553&CatId=0).  The case includes two front USB 2.0 ports.  I plugged the usb into my MSI motherboard as the instructions said.  Everytime I plug something into one of these ports the computer restarts itself.  I have tried two different iPods & a Kodak camera.  After the restart the items work sucessfully.  Are they drawing too much power to begin with??

CAN ANYONE HELP ME??

royphil345

Re: Computer Restarts When I Plug Into USB 2.0
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 01:43:14 PM »
The exact same thing happens with the USB ports on the front of my Rosewill case connected to my Abit mainboard.

My guess is that the pinout of the plug for the USB ports is different than the pinout on the mainboard. Somehow, the mainboard is able to self-correct for this but needs to restart in order to do it. Well.. that's my guess anyway...  I've just been leaving the cord for my camera plugged in and it doesn't restart when I plug the camera into the cord.

I've had mainboards where the USBs on the Rosewell case didn't work at all when plugged into the mainboard. If the pinout isn't standard for USB connections (and I've heard it isn't)... I sure don't understand why these case manufacturers dont use single pin connectors instead of a big plug for their front USB ports (some do, and I'll look for that next time I shop). Simplicity is great, but only if it works!!!

P.S.    Don't think it's a power problem. I have a great power supply and this didn't happen until I just recently put in the Abit mainboard.  Also, not the first time I've noticed that the pinout for the USB plug isn't always right for all mainboards. Worked fine with my last board (GIGABYTE).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 01:48:16 PM by royphil345 »

patrickhannon

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 11:13:51 PM »
Thanks royphil345!

Like I said, after the reboot all components work properly.

First of all, my brother has a shuffle so he cant keep that plugged in.
Second, I have a 4th Gen iPod and even if the cord has been plugged into my computer for weeks, the machine restarts when I plug the actual iPod into the other end of the cord.

Does anyone know of a driver fix or an adapter to plug into the mobo so I can get this working??

royphil345

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 02:36:42 AM »
I've looked for a fix with no success. Can't even find crimp-on single pin connectors which I thought might help solve the problem.

I just played around with it some more. Did some web research. The wire colors at the connector all look like they're in the right place. The diagram I found on the web matches the way the pinout is on my mainboard manual. Sorry I lost the web page, it may have been helpful. Computer restarted a few times while I was messing with the USB LOL!!!

The thing that's really messing with me now is that I also have another 2 port USB extension mounted to the back of the computer that plugs into a second header on my mainboard. Both are wired the same way (if you go by the wire colors at the plug end), both worked on my last mainboard without restarts. The one on the back of my computer works fine!!! weird!!! I switched the headers the front and back ports are connected to. The back still works fine, the front still restarts the computer when a device is plugged in.

I did just notice that only one of the two front ports causes restarts. Maybe if you're lucky one of yours works OK too?

Now I'm thinking that it's probably just sloppy craftsmanship. Thinking they might not pay any attention to the polarity of the data+ and data-  connections on the USB jack side because it doesn't matter on some mainboards? (worked fine on my last one)  Only explanation I can come up with, especially since one of the jacks works and the other doesn't.

The only fix I can think of is to look in your mainboard manual at the USB header pinout. Find where the data+ and data- wires should be on the plug for each jack. Cut the wires, reverse them and splice them. Can't guarantee this would work, but I can't think of any other explanation for the problem. Thought at first the jacks might be grounded to the case causing problems. Wouldnt explain why 1 of mine works and the other 1 doesn't though.

I've also seen USB ports that connect to the mainboard headers and mount in a floppy drive bay. That could be something to think about.

Was this long enough?!
Roy
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 02:34:01 AM by royphil345 »

Dell4700

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 04:34:24 AM »
You are experiencing unexpected restarts when you make certain changes to your system (removing/installing USB devices on one of your USB ports).

You should be aware that some operating systems, Win XP in particular, are designed to restart when detecting an apparent failure.  You may be generating this failure detection process due to overload or conflicts with some of these devices.  These problems may not occur when booting with these devices already installed, since the loads or conflicts, and the detection process can be quite different.

Without knowing which operating system you're using or any details of your USB devices, here are some comments:

USB devices are designed to operate/communicate using a standard that must support a wide range of devices and requirements.  Some devices place very different loads (power and communication) on your system.  In many cases your USB port/hub must provide all power to a device, in other cases no power is needed.

Possible causes for USB problems is the act of installing or removing a device may cause communications conflicts or unacceptable loads (transient or normal) on your system, especially if your system is operating near or beyond its capacity (too many things, etc.).  This can result in your system detecting an apparent failure.

Possible causes of restart/reboot:

Generally Win XP is designed to restart/reboot after detecting certain system failures.  To verify that this is what may be causing your restarts, you can disable the restart on system failure setting. To do so, right click on My Computer and select the Properties command from the resulting shortcut menu. When you do, you will see the System Properties sheet. Click the Advanced tab and click the Settings button found in the Startup and Recovery section. Finally, deselect the Automatically Restart check box and click OK.

If you no longer experience retarts, take a look at all your USB devices running normally (keyboard, mouse, drives, etc.) and determine whether you can reduce the loading on your system.

If you still experience restarts, the motherboard, case or device may be faulty.

Dell

patrickhannon

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 01:15:30 PM »
Thank You Roy!
Thank You Dell!

I know I have checked to make sure that the internal USB cables are plugged in correctly to USB_1.  I will be sure to first try each port to check if there is a difference.  If problems persist, I will try to switch to the other USB header on the motherboard (USB_2).  I am running Windows XP with Service Pack 2.  I will take a look at the OS aspect of the problem.  I'll tell XP not to reboot automatically.

I just want to let all of you know that you are all incredibly helpful, especially considering this is a free forum!

Pat

royphil345

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 04:36:55 PM »
Found this...  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=29634&sku=C184-27037

Kind of pricey... But if nothing else works...

Think I saw it in black directly from Cables To Go, but price was even higher.