Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Issue with new (old) computer  (Read 2933 times)

Osiris09

Issue with new (old) computer
« on: December 25, 2005, 12:33:47 AM »
I just recieve a used laptop for xmas, its a toshiba portege 7100.  I want to know how I can make it work so when I plug in my network cable from my cable modem, i can connect on my laptop. The laptop has an ethernet jack and i plugged it in and tried to obtain and IP and set it all up but all i get is PPP  Adapter. what do I need to do? i hope this is in the right topic section.

GX1_Man

Re: Issue with new (old) computer
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 04:44:29 AM »
hopefully you are just trying to run DHCP. If the laptop has the NIC driver installed (double check in Device Manager) then it is very simple. It would be simpler if you had stated your operating system, but....

Go to Start, Run then browse for program Files/internet Ex-plorer/COnnection Manager, Inetwiz and click OK.

Choose connect with LAN (as opposed to modem0, then take the default settings on the next page.

choose if you want to set up e-mail on this machine. If so, just fill in the relevant data. If not, or if you want to do this later (you can just run this later), choose no.

There you go. Just click on IE.

Osiris09

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 12:47:08 PM »
Sorry i didnt mention, its 98se. I plan on upgrading to XP soon though but that doesnt matter, I did exactly what you said, but it would not connect or anything. in the device manager, one says Dial-up Adapter or w/e, and the other one is like Fir and Lan DockII or something I dont remember exactly what..just because there is an ethernet jack, does that mean there is a NIC card installed? no lights come on or anything then I plug it in.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 12:59:57 PM »
Go to Control Manager/System?device Manager and see what is listed under network adapter, if anything. If none or an exclamation point the driver is not installed.

Here is the download page for whatever you might need:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modSel.jsp
« Last Edit: December 25, 2005, 01:06:33 PM by GX1_Man »

Osiris09

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2005, 02:55:09 PM »
Ok under network adapters I have Dial up adapter, Toshiba FIR Port Type-DO, and Toshiba PCI FastEthernet Lan on Docker II and everything is working properly it says.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2005, 02:58:33 PM »
So does this have a docking station with it? SOmetimes there is an option in BIOS/setup to either use the onboard NIC or the docking station (some older Dells are like that for sure). If no docking station, then you would want to enable the onboard.

Osiris09

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2005, 02:59:50 PM »
yea its on a docking station and the Ether is on the docking station

Osiris09

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2005, 03:14:02 PM »
ok now it seems to be reading it and stuff cuz the lights are blinking, but i still cant connect, when I go to winipcfg, should it be on PPP Adapter or the Ethernet, because when I put it on the ethernet it wont stay on it, soon as i go back its back  on the PPP adapter

Osiris09

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 10:55:56 PM »
can anyone else help?

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 04:21:29 PM »
You might need to install the proper drivers for the network card or c onfigure it.

You can disable the modem if you do not require it.