Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trying to get two monitors...  (Read 3033 times)

Explorer1016

Trying to get two monitors...
« on: January 04, 2006, 12:23:19 PM »
Hello all.  I received a new monitor for Christmas and foolishly assumed that my graphics card would allow me to use both my new (a Dell Flat Panel) and old monitor (a Dell CRT) at the same time.  I would like to keep using the graphics card I have installed (because of the graphic-intense games I play) but also want to use two monitors.  Does anyone have any suggestions for the most painless way to accomplish this?

Currently I have an eMachine Desktop (T3085) with a AMD Athlon™ XP 3000+ Processor, 1GB of DDR (PC 2700) RAM, and Windows XP Home Edition.  It came with a nVidia nForce 2 card but I upgrade to use a nVidia GeForce 6800 GT card.  (It, apparently, does NOT support dual monitors :) ).  The GeForce 6800 has both a typical 15-pin VGA connection (currently being used by the CRT monitor) and an unused DVI-I connection.  The CRT monitor has only a 15-pin VGA cable and the Flat Panel has both a VGA and a DVI-D connection.

I am using my AGP slot for the GeForce 6800 GT but still have an empty PCI slot.  Any suggestions would be appreciated, and let me know if you need any more information.  Thanks in advance!

Roofvogel

Re: Trying to get two monitors...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 02:15:30 PM »
If your videocard has two of the same type of connectors you can buy a converter which allows you to connect either a VGA or DVI. Depending on what you're converting from.