Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: burner stopped reading blank discs  (Read 2351 times)

coastydude

burner stopped reading blank discs
« on: January 07, 2006, 02:00:37 PM »
Hi,

I have a P4 PC running XP with a internal Sony DVD RW-U14A burner.  I've been backing up my DVD's using Copy to DVD for some time now.  All of a sudden I'm getting a message that the media is not large enough.  The movie is already compressed down to 4.1 gb. When I look at the drive it shows that there is 0 on the disk but also 0 available.  
The only thing I have done lately is download some songs for the kids MP3 and Ipod though I-tunes and MSN.  
If anybody could tell me how to fix this problem I would appreciate it very much.

thanks, Frank

Dell4700

Re: burner stopped reading blank discs
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 05:54:40 PM »
Some possibilities -

- your scratch disk (the one that your DVD writer uses for a temp while preparing to burn) is full or nearly so.  Make sure you have enough room on that hard drive.

- copy protection is preventing you from writing the file.  Make sure it is not copy protected.  Try another file.

- your drive may be faulty or misconfigured.  Reinstall the drive and drivers.  Try another drive.

- your media may be bad.  Try another disk.  Try another manufacturer.

- you may have malware or a virus.  You may have gotten it from the source of your files or even the manufacturer.  Sony has been in the news lately for installing copy protection malware via some of their products (without user knowledge or permission).  Check for these with a good scanner.

- your burner software may be misconfigured or corrupted.  Try reinstalling the software.  Completely uninstall the old version first.

Dell