Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Multi sound cards / multi speakers  (Read 4109 times)

Phaze

Multi sound cards / multi speakers
« on: January 15, 2006, 10:25:30 PM »
I searched for related issues and didn't see anything to help me so I'm hoping someone knows how to do what I am visualizing in my head... here it goes

I have two sound cards on my computer. I have the built into motherboard sound card and a 7.1 M-Audio Revolution sound card. Both work just fine. I have one set of basic computer speakers. I have successfully set up my computer to play sound on my home stereo and tv, with no problems.

What I want to do is to have certain programs to play on a certain sound card. I want to use my multi-media (ie. DVD movies, windows media) on my TV and home stereo. I want to play my computer games and computer related software through my computer speakers (and headphones cuz the wife doesn't like to listen to Battlefield 2 at full blast =)

I'm looking through windows media and can't see how to select which speakers it goes through. BTW I know both sound cards can be used simutanousely, even when they are being used by the same program. It seems that you should be able to have a sound hardware scheme set up.

My other option (and what I have been doing up to this point) is to hook up one set of speakers to regular speaker outlet and the other set to surround sound outlet on the same video card (the Revolution card). I believe that dimineshes sound quality, and I'm constantly going behind the computer to unplug/replug in my speaker, which I really do not like doing. Also, some programs aren't sound surround quality so I don't get sound at all, which is understandable.

I am running Windows XP

So, does anybody have any ideas, or have you solved this problem already for yourself and wanna help me out... if you respond, I thank you in advance!

GX1_Man

Re: Multi sound cards / multi speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 05:06:46 AM »
If you have two sound cards active at one time you will have problems - guaranteed. I think you should choose one and use that.

Phaze

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 07:39:29 AM »
What kind of problems?

I have a program that is used for DJing (I'm a retired DJ but I still like to play it loud at home =). I used this program in a bar I used to work at. It has options for use of two, or more, sound cards. I've done this for years and no problems with the sound coming from two sound cards. One card is used for one channel, the other card is used for other channel. This allows the "mixing" of songs as well as being able to listen to a song through headphones while your live music continues uninteruppted.

Now if this program can do this with virtually no glitches, why can't other programs do this? Isn't this what microsoft wanted to progress the computer to? Out of the office into the multi-media enviroment?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 02:57:11 PM »
Errr...I'm not sure what Microsoft wanted other than to sell you more software. That is their business.

Phaze

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 04:46:39 PM »
uhhhh, ok, sure.... I guess so, yer the expert...

now, I'm gonna explain my flame. Why would the powers that be want computers stuck in the office? The main living area is the living room... fancy that. However computers are non-aesthetic, so they will probably look different. Computers will take over function of TV, stereo DVD player, gaming center, movies, music, etc etc... read into "ENTERTAINMENT".... why? cuz it sells.... you still need software to run this and who is making the biggest progression into this? Microsoft, duhhhh.... don't believe me? Who sells XBox 360??? why is it the biggest, best console gaming device to present date? because you can run all your living room entertainment devices off of the xbox... duhhh.... does microsoft just sell software, no.... so STFU and try making a constructive post.... expert.... anwer my question, don't be a smartass... if you can't answer the question, don't say anything at... especially if it makes you look like an idiot

Phaze

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 04:49:00 PM »
refresher... why would two soundcards cause trouble as stated in previous post. I listed one example that says that two sound cards can work togather. so is there another reason why it is a bad idea...

or lets go back to my original question... can I run multimedia off of one sound card and computer sounds off the other, and how can I do this?

LWN

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 08:04:17 PM »
I agree with GX1_Man

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 08:58:35 PM »
     Phaze....... Usually , if there is a integrated sound card ( built in ) and the user chooses to install a better card in a PCI slot ..... it is common practice to disable the built in sound......Either in the device manager  or in the bios ...if it will allow it .  The same thing would apply to a onboard or integrated vid card ..... Failing to do this usually results in problems of one type or another ..... Now then ....... I don't know the program you used to use and still have....but it's quite possible that it was designed to operate with multi sound cards and has the ability to do internal switching and mixing ...giving you the options you described ....... Perhaps if you had mentioned the app your talking about GX_1 Man may have offered differant advice .
    How about giving us the name .
    Have a read , I think its describing what you want to do .......
    http://www.patmedia.net/ralphmilnes/soundcardpacket/2agw2cards.htm

dl65  ::)

« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 09:08:54 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Phaze

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 03:47:19 PM »
    Thanks dl65... I read that link and I think its dealing more with a small radio station function... very interesting and I will read up more on it, but I don't think its what I want to do, and plus it looks like an old program.

The name of the program that I'm talking about is VirtualDJ. You can download a copy at thier site, and I highly recommend it for all house parties,  it will Beat Mix with an incredible AI-like style that is really amazing! Here is a link to their user manual... hit ctrl-f and punch in "two soundcards" to skip to the appropriate chapter. I know that if you scroll up it says you can run the program on one sound card no prob, but for the true dj, the mix comes with feeling the hardware (ie. the mixboard sound controls) and you just can't achieve a proper mix trying to work it with a mouse, therefore you split the sounds into two channels... I did this for over a year with absolutely no problems so it does work.

Now I want to split my sounds to two different sets of speakers, for two different sets of reasons... I wanna keep my games/computer sounds limited to my computer, and my multimedia to my stereo. The reason for this is that my computer is in the living room, and when I am working on my computer, so as not to disturb others in the house, I listen to my earphones. I have hooked my video card to the tv so I could watch dvds, homemade movies and other stuff on my tv. A lot of DVDs have extra content that you can only access on computer, now I get the best of both. I also host a poker night at my house and I use a program called The Tournament Director, which does wonders for the ease of night. It beeps when blinds go up, but my computer speakers aren't loud enough. Plus the boys like to hear a little rock n roll. Since I used to dj and I ripped all my music to my hard drive, I would like to play that on my stereo. Actually I already do, its just that I have switch cables all the time and thought it would be better to be able to switch via in windows than physically doing it. These are the reasons for wanting to use two sound cards