Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Daughter studying abroad. Need help to network her pc to mine.  (Read 3869 times)

Kcatmc2

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Daughter studying abroad. Need help to network her pc to mine.
    « on: November 13, 2019, 02:57:50 AM »
    It should be possible to have her pc connect to mine and then reach out to the internet from my location. This would allow her to access a streaming service which is not currently available where she is. The subscription is active and current on my end. Any suggestions?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Daughter studying abroad. Need help to network her pc to mine.
    « Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 05:07:31 PM »
    Ah trying to get around regional blocks. A VPN might be able to be used to tunnel it in a way that works, however not sure if her going through a tunnel to do this would lead to getting locked up.

I'd check to see what the penalty is if caught getting around a region/content block as for some counties like China for example I have heard can lock you up for going around their tight content controls of what is allowed to be viewed in that country.

If there is no risk of having door broken down and hauled away by police, then a VPN Tunnel Streaming is the method. There would be latency to her connection through your internet connection though so it wont be as fast as you have your internet access. So depending on the connection between you and her it might be sketchy for streaming content. Your internet will need to have a healthy upload speed of like 10mbps or greater and her connection would require a 10mbps connection or faster download otherwise you could run into buffering issues. The further away she is to you the more hops and more latency. I have a friend in Australia for example and I live in the USA and there is about a constant 2 to 3 seconds of latency between us on a good day which is 2000 to 3000ms.