Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to link two routers together (or perhaps a different idea?)  (Read 5832 times)

JDoran2015

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    How to link two routers together (or perhaps a different idea?)
    « on: November 15, 2019, 07:46:43 AM »
    This is new to me, so I'm probably not using the correct terms, and maybe I'm making wrong assumptions, and if so then I apologise. Apologies also if it's in the wrong forum.

The situation is that my neighbour's house now has five security cameras fitted, and working properly. The cameras' leads (they are wired, not wireless) all go through the attic, and meet and go down into his bedroom, and are connected to the camera's hub box (or whatever it's called, the unit that houses the hard drive and everything). The hub box is wired into his bedroom TV, and everything is working fine, he can view the cameras on the bedroom TV, there's no problems with the security system at all.

The thing is, he wants to connect the camera hub box to the internet, so it can email him if say he's at work and one of the cameras detects moving in his yard (he has lots of valuable fish, some of them are *massive*). He doesn't want or need to view the security cameras on the downstairs TV, just for the security camera hub box (which is upstairs) to communicate with the internet, via the house router, which is downstairs. Ideally, he doesn't want to run a cable all the way from the bedroom to the router (from the camera hub box in his bedroom, down to the router in his living room), or to drill a cable though the bedroom floor (for the cable from the camera hub box to the router in his living room) if he can avoid using a long cable.

The router is SKY broadband, which wirelessly connects to the usual stuff (tablet, phone, an Amazon Fire stick type thing). Everything is working with that router, but he has a second router (identical to the first) that isn't being used for anything, and he was hoping that he could somehow introduce the second, previously unused router into the equation, and get the two routers working together, meaning that his camera hub box would be connected by a short cable to a router (call it router two, the new router that would be in the bedroom next to the camera hub box) and that router two would communicate wirelessly with router one (the downstairs router, the one that's connected to the phone line and feeds everything else, i.e. his tablet, mobile phone, etc).

Is this possible, or does it require a different item (not a router) to be connected to the camera hub in place of router two? Please don't assume I know anything about this (I pretty much don't), it's all new to me.

Thanks for any answers.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How to link two routers together (or perhaps a different idea?)
    « Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 12:04:09 PM »
    This is from dictation and may contain errors.  :-[

Hello,
    after reading over your post very carefully I have decided to respond with a short explanation.
    I think you will not be able to resolve this issue with whatever experience you've already had with this sort of thing. It is more than just a matter of connecting two routers together.
    The protocol used over the Internet differs considerably with the protocol used to transmit signals from a camera to a television set. Even when everything is done digitally, there is still a large variation in protocol. Or to put it is perspective you might say the variations and protocols for digital transmission very my more than two orders of magnitude. Which simply means that to accomplish what you want you'll need to have the full cooperation of the people that built and installed the equipment. Oftentimes I equipment specified for specific use will have a protocol that is not universally used everywhere. It is not just matchmaking connectors. The digital protocol used over the Internet is very specific and it differs widely from the protocol used by wireless devices. Of course, they make it all work together, but that doesn't mean that they are really the same thing. They are not.
    My best suggestion is to contact the people that installed the equipment or else contact the manufacturer of the equipment to see what possibilities there are for connecting other devices to the system.
    Let me illustrate the issue by making the comparison. The TV standards used in North and South America differ widely from the television standards used in Europe and many other countries. Years ago I made a video for someone that lived in France only to learn that he was never able to watch it because it was recorded according to the standards for use in this part of the world. It takes quite a bit of forethought to and detail to make something so simple as a video recording work in other parts of the earth. In a similar manner, the differences between wireless protocols and Internet protocols vary widely.
    What I am trying to say is that he has, people do make things work together, but is not as simple as you would hope it could be.
    I hope this is of some help to you and that you try to contact the installers are the makers of the equipment to find out what possibilities there are for expansion and interfacing with other equipment.

I hope this is of some help.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 06:44:18 PM »
    Hi
    First thing to know is the details of the "camera hub" like what make and model. It may not be net workable at all. If it is then the easiest way is to use Ethernet over power.
    Something like this https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-networking/powerline/tl-pa8010p-kit/
    You use the leads supplied to attach 1 unit to the camera hub and then plug the other unit in down stairs and plug it into the router. It's just like running a network cable.
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

JDoran2015

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 08:32:12 AM »
      Sorry for not posting earlier, my mate was working away from home (I know what that's like, it's not great). Anyway, he bought a powerline and everything is working fine now.

Thanks for all of the help, it's much appreciated.