Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Replacing Hard Drive  (Read 5634 times)

El_Baz

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    Replacing Hard Drive
    « on: December 09, 2019, 08:44:38 AM »
    I'd like to replace my existing hard drive with a much larger sized one. Upon opening the tower I found the drive is held in place by four screws at the bottom of the case. Removing the existing drive is no problem, But as I only have one pair of hands, how do I hold the new drive in place while I tighten the screws?  ???

Thanks.
    El Baz is shuttlepod 05 of the USS Enterprise NCC1701-D

Accessless

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Replacing Hard Drive
    « Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 01:17:34 PM »
    The drive bays have fins that support the drives, so they work like a shelving system. The screws are just there to prevent movement from vibration and generally anchor things.

El_Baz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 03:55:53 PM »
      The drive bays have fins that support the drives, so they work like a shelving system. The screws are just there to prevent movement from vibration and generally anchor things.

My drive is not located in a bay. It is held down at the base of the tower by four screws, which are accessed by placing the tower on it's side. The arrows in Image 041 show the locations of where the screws go.

El_Baz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 04:01:04 PM »
        My drive is not located in a bay. It is held down at the base of the tower by four screws, which are accessed by placing the tower on it's side. Image 0441 shows the underside of another drive I have, the arrows show the location of where the screws go.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 04:09:55 PM »
        Are you saying the case has no HDD bays ? ?...must be a waay old case.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

El_Baz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 04:18:43 PM »
          Are you saying the case has no HDD bays ? ?...must be a waay old case.

It's far from being an old case.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
          • My first real computer
            • Yes
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 08:22:18 PM »
          Just put something under the drive about the correct thickness. Between the bottom of the case and the drive. Or use a magnetic screwdriver to hold the screw on the driver while you position the drive. If you don't want to magnetize a screw driver then a little Vaseline on the screw driver will hold the screw. Leave your old drive screwed into the case without cables as a backup.
          Or save yourself the trouble of a reload by copying your old drive to the new drive with say https://www.minitool.com/free-tools/minitool-drivecopy.html
          You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
          ― John Bunyan

Accessless

Adviser
            • Yes
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 06:48:28 AM »
          Thats very strange in *1 you can see the supporting fin but in *2 the pannel on the opposing side appears to be missing. What were you planning on scewing in to on the other side? Also did the case/pc come like this or was it modded for some reason?

Anyway it seems that you will just have to support the drive any way that you can. If you are worried about touching the exposed electronics on the bottom of the HDD just use a piece of paper to protect it until the screws are in. As lisa suggested a magnetic screwdriver would be helpful.

El_Baz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 11:12:43 AM »
            As lisa suggested a magnetic screwdriver would be helpful.

That's the option I'm going for. I've had a ring magnet which came out of a television for years. I magnetized the end of a Philip's screwdriver with it, I then put the head on a screw on it, which seemed to hold it quite well. 

Thanks for all you suggestions.