Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10 - Norton Vault password auto-fill not working  (Read 25196 times)

Treedin

Windows 10 - Norton Vault password auto-fill not working
« on: March 13, 2020, 12:21:36 PM »
I have a new laptop with Windows 10. I called Norton to see if I could find out why the little Norton Vault icon doesnt show up next to the user/login/password for different login websites, and they said they would have to access my computer remotely. I asked them if they would walk me through it and they put me on hold and then came back and said they would have to remotely access my computer to troubleshoot and fix the problem. I told them I would try to fix the problem myself, but I havent yet. I guess something in windows 10 is blocking this ???
One of my concerns and questions is, would you trust them to remotely access my computer ?
Thanks
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 12:40:06 PM by Treedin »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Windows 10 - Norton Vault password auto-fill not working
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 12:49:58 PM »
One of my concerns and questions is, would you trust them to remotely access my computer ?
Thanks
No, I can not recommend that.
Instead, find somebody among your family or friends that can help you.
That is the best I can say.  :)

Treedin

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 12:57:28 PM »
Thanks Geek-9pm. I really dont know anyone who might be able to help. Would you have any ideas as to what I could check, that might be causing this issue ?
Or a safe way to generate and save user names and passwords ?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 01:15:08 PM by Treedin »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 01:18:17 PM »
From dictation.  8)
Okay, I'll try to give you a more detailed outline of what I have in mind. Years ago I is to work as a computer help technician and would talk to people over the phone about how to fix certain problems.
In your case, the problem is not something I would consider to be very critical to your productivity. You should have some alternate method of managing your passwords if the Norton utility is not serving you well. I understand the problem, I also have difficulty finding the right tool for the job and one of the tools I've used now has to be updated and it's a real pain in the neck.
The most reasonable workaround is to just have a piece of paper somewhere that you keep all your passwords on and you keep it with you at all times. This is not a joke, the password management system that's used on computers is much more complicated than it really needs to be. If you can write down your passwords on a piece of paper and keep it on your person that should be all you really need.
Excuse my frankness, but after several years of experience with helping people with computers I find that often the most practical solution is the best one. But I do have another suggestion.
In your community there are some other people who have computers and considered to be a hobby. Those individuals are willing to give you some of their time at no cost and they will try to help you the best they can. But even so, you want to be sure you know who these individuals are and be very careful about giving them any privileges that could possibly cause you harm. The world we live in is not any better now than it was 20 or 30 years ago. There are just too many people out there looking for an opportunity to defraud someone who is not sure what they're doing.
So you might try a search and see if there is a local computer club in your area. You can talk to some of them and make your own decision about which of those individuals appear to be honest and straightforward. Is much easier to do that than it is to try to make a judgment of someone over the Internet people on the Internet people will lie about almost anything. Even if 99% of the people on the Internet are truthful, it's that 1% the can really do you lasting harm. So that's why I recommend you start first dealing with local people that already have some experience and you can evaluate them personally with eye to eye contact and listen to them talk to you and you can answer questions and they can interact with you.
As to Norton, I'm not sure why they cannot just tell you over the phone what you need to do rather than trying to take control of your computer. In my time I did some very difficult things of people over the phone without the use of remote control. So I know it's possible to walk people through almost anything over the phone if you know how to communicate and ask questions and follow directions.
Of course, a local contact is even much better. A real live person in flesh and blood can communicate much better than someone talking to you over the phone. Body language and gestures and facial expressions do make a big difference when trying to communicate with other people. So far, the Internet is a great tool, but has some serious areas of misuse when it comes to the matter of trust and security.
I do hope this is of some help to you. Try finding local people in your area. Ask your neighbors, ask anybody you know what they do when they have a computer problem. Even young children sometimes know what to do.
End of dictation.   :D

Treedin

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 01:26:27 PM »
Now that sounds like some really down to earth advice, and Im glad you explained it like that.
I can tell you that I will continue doing things just as you mentioned...writing them down.
Thanks