Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to install Windows on a 4TB HDD without losing 2TB from it being in MBR?  (Read 3868 times)

relindwto6

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    I'm trying to install Windows 10 onto a 4TB harddrive by plugging it into my computer, moving the Win10 ISO files onto the drive, then activating it in DiskPart. However, I am unable to activate the partition unless the drive is in MBR format, but if I do that, 2TB of the HDD becomes unusable when you get Windows working on it.

Is there a way to install Win10 on a 4TB HDD, without converting to MBR and losing 2 TB of storage?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    You could partition the drive...or See Here..l.

Note : There is always a risk of data loss...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    To install Windows onto a drive of larger than 2TB the drive needs to be partitioned as GPT first then have the partition made as NTFS 4 TB.

Begs the question why you are installing from the drive you are using for windows. The normal way is either from DVD or a pendrive. The reason to use this method is Windows 10 needs more than 1 partition to boot and the install knows how to partition your 4TB as GPT.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan