Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: emachines restore disk  (Read 2858 times)

erinsaxton

emachines restore disk
« on: February 01, 2006, 04:32:42 PM »
this may sound like a stupid question but i want to make sure, i don't know the intimate details of computer insides :)

my computer broke down a few days ago and it turned out i needed a new motherboard, it's all done and i got it back yesterday. My problem is i don't know if i can use my original restore disk (my computer is an emachines with XP)

when i got my computer back i'm missing half the stuff i used to have ie. excel etc, which is on my restore disk but i don't want to restore if it's going to mess up the system again, i just paid 110 pounds to get it fixed i can't do that again.

thanks for any help you can give me :)

GX1_Man

Re: emachines restore disk
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 04:36:06 PM »
If it is an eMachine restore disk, it may very well be tied to an eMachine motherboard, and will not install on anything else - period. Some manufacturers are like that - Gateway in particular which owns eMachines.

If it does work, it will probably format (erase) your hard drive totally before reloading what you had when you got the machine, so back up your important data first.

Is it a Windows CD or does it say Restore CD?

erinsaxton

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 05:11:31 PM »
it says restore cd, i've used it before on my PC before the new motherboard and it does wipe everything i was just worried it might break the new motherboard :)

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 05:40:24 PM »
It won't break it, it just may not install at all, and if it does there may be problems as it is not the original hardware. Once the data is saved you have nothing to lose by trying.

A call or e-mail to eMachines might be in order if it doesn't work as your purchase price did include a copy of Windows.