Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Keyboard is making my computer (and me) cry  (Read 2120 times)

babyonboard

Keyboard is making my computer (and me) cry
« on: February 10, 2006, 09:12:00 AM »
okay, i'll try to exlain the prolem as best I can,  not being very tech-savvy.

i am running windows xp

a few hours ago I was trying to type and it was doing cray things ie i hit the 'y' and it coes out as '6y7'
it then stopped recognising anything at all so i angrily smacked a few keys (prob. not a good idea) and did  a restart

when i started up again there was a short beep sound persistently coming from the case and then messages came u such as 'error reading media'
and
'system boot failure
enter system disk and press alt'

or to that effect

after removing the keyboard i can start up fine but when i lpug it back in the beep happens again
i tried another keyboard - no beeps and works fine but causes the mouse to freeze

argh!.can anyone tell what the problem is ?

sorry for limited info too, i'm using onscreen keyoard and it's taking forever to type with

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Keyboard is making my computer (and me) cry
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 04:14:44 PM »
Do you have virus and Spyware protection? Have you made any changes to your system recently? In order to help you out as qucikly and efficiently as possible, I'm going to ask that you run a System Restoration. To do this, click on Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. The Restore window will appear, so click on the bullet point that says "restore to an earlier time" and click next. You will now see a calendar. I would say to click on about 2-3 days ago, and select your desired time (if applicable). Click next. You will now see a confirmation. Make sure the information showed is correct, and click on Done/Finish. Your system will now restart. Depending on speed, etc. Your system will get to the point where it goes to logoff your account before it shows a progress meter. Depending on system speed and such, this might take a while to complete. Please be patient. Once this is done, the system will restart. Tell us if everything is fine after this, as well as answering the questions I asked you at the beginning of this topic.

Flame