Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: s775 P4 motherboards. How do you make them work??!  (Read 2223 times)

cameronmalcolm1

s775 P4 motherboards. How do you make them work??!
« on: March 01, 2006, 11:19:09 AM »
Hi. Its ben a week and ive had my new computer parts sent back, and are soon to be returned. Apparently they're fine, and they've connected them all up and booted xp. So its my fault I guess. The motherboard is an INTEL D955XBK running a 3ghz p4 with 2x512 DDR 533 ram. Unfortunately I dont have the bits in front of me, so some of what I say may not be accurate. But im sure enough it is!  :  How do I get the board to power up? I've built 10's of computers for freinds, neighbours etc... but ive always used AMD. This is my first intel based pc for 7 years or something! With the AMD you plugged in the 20 pin plug from the psu and away you go.
With this gear ive bought now I have the following; on the motherboard there is a 24 pin power connector and an 8 pin power connector. The PSU (i think) had a 24 pin connecter (which split into a 20 pin and a 4 pin(they slotted together)) and a 6 pin connector. Ive been told by the company I bought it from I have to use a '4 to 8 pin converter' (you buy a motherboard and PSU specifically designed for a p4 and you need an adapter, aint that great!). This would make sense i guess due to the 8 pin socket on the board, but where does this converter go? Does it connect to 4 of the 6 pin plug from the psu, or the four that are part of the 24 pin plug from the psu. There wasnt a manual with the board, just a vague cd manual, so i just dont know. Any help from you fine people would be incredibly helpfull.

cheers