Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: reformatting windows xp?  (Read 2967 times)

phil_wilson

reformatting windows xp?
« on: August 18, 2004, 03:14:50 PM »
I have norton 2003 systemworks. I was checking e-mail and it said it quarentined an e-mail. It wasn't opened norton auto. quarentined. Just 2 b sure I ran virus scan and it found 6 more in system (repaired them and I ran again showing none. I was scanning a picture I drew and try 2 send it via e-mail. the picture was only about 2x3''s, it was taking 4ever 4 norton 2 check it outgoing. I stopped process and found it was showing the picture 2 b 24.5 mb. lol no way a 2x3" picture is this huge! I thought maybe my scanner files became corrupt so I un-installed it. When I went 2 re-install it keeps saying install wizard is having problems. ( when I start system it gives me c:\windows\system32\netdc.exe) not typed in correctly.......automatically! When I think back trying 2 re-install the scanner it was using that file. I never typed or had anything 2 do with C:\windows******. It was a trojan virus that norton quarentined. How do I reformat xp from the disk.I've never done anything like that........and will it help? PLEASE HELP. TY..Phil

merlin_2

Re: reformatting windows xp?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 03:17:48 PM »
before considering a re-install....reboot pc keep tapping the f8 safe mode and chose last good config...

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 03:19:44 PM »
Boot using the Windows XP CD  (Set the CD-ROM as the first Boot device).

I suggest you format any partitions and possibly other harddrives from Windows XP whilst you can still boot. Once that is done, boot using the Windows XP CD, select the XP Install option, tell it on what drive or partition you wish to install it.

If you wish XP to format the harddrive or partition where the OS is currently installed on, you should choose that drive to install XP on. It will prompt you that an OS is allready installed and if you wish to format the drive first.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 03:21:48 PM »
before considering a re-install....reboot pc keep tapping the f8 safe mode and chose last good config...and ruun this >http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/  its been my experience nav is not that good and does not find a sort out trojans ...hogs resources..but that you chose not mine... if you have norton systemworks it should have the goback program embeded in it?